DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Sump Pump Backup Battery Error? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/sump-pump-backup-battery-error-118566/)

dajonx 09-28-2011 10:45 AM

Sump Pump Backup Battery Error?
 
Hi!

I have bought a new home and they installed a sump pump with a backup battery sitting right next to it. When it rains, it does work, but the thing is that I believe it is using the backup battery instead of the main power because the backup battery is beeping constantly so I have to manually hit the reset switch on the backup battery. Until I hit the reset switch, the sump pump does not work.

Is this normal? It's really driving me crazy since it would beep during all times of the day/night and I'm constantly worried if the basement is flooded during storms.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

Eds_tls 09-28-2011 07:33 PM

my battery backup is a completely seperate pump. Meaning there is the primary 110v pump pluged into the wall and then there is a seperate pump that runs off the battery. There is a switch in the well that is supposed to trigger the backup pump when the water level gets too high, (when the primary pump is not working). It sounds like the switch for the backup pump is set too low in the well and therefore is starting the backup pump before the primary pump. Look inside and find the switch for the backup pump. Remove it and mount it a few inches higher

OhioHomeDoctor 09-28-2011 07:36 PM

Try replacing the battery with a marine battery from auto zone.

dajonx 09-29-2011 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eds_tls (Post 737893)
my battery backup is a completely seperate pump. Meaning there is the primary 110v pump pluged into the wall and then there is a seperate pump that runs off the battery. There is a switch in the well that is supposed to trigger the backup pump when the water level gets too high, (when the primary pump is not working). It sounds like the switch for the backup pump is set too low in the well and therefore is starting the backup pump before the primary pump. Look inside and find the switch for the backup pump. Remove it and mount it a few inches higher

I'm not sure if there are two separate pumps. Is there a way to verify whether or not I have two pumps? Can you please tell me what the switch looks like? Thanks!!

dajonx 09-29-2011 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhioHomeDoctor (Post 737895)
Try replacing the battery with a marine battery from auto zone.

That sounds like this suggestion is over my head. :huh: I would have to research this more to see if it's doable for me.

Eds_tls 09-29-2011 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dajonx (Post 738163)
I'm not sure if there are two separate pumps. Is there a way to verify whether or not I have two pumps? Can you please tell me what the switch looks like? Thanks!!


I don't know what model you have but I think most are pretty similar. This is the model I put in a few months ago...

http://www.basementwatchdog.com/PDF/...%20v9-2010.pdf

Page 2 shows what my float switch looks like. Those two round donuts slide up and down the rod as the water rises. Thats the switch that triggers the back up pump. Its attached to a wire that runs to the battery outside of the well

Page 3 shows how they are set up in the well. If you have two seperate pipes coming out of the well then you definately have two seperate sump pumps

Page 15 shows how to test the float switch. My switch is ziptied to one of the pipes. The switch should be easy to see because it should be towards the top of the well.

Eds_tls 09-29-2011 08:05 AM

Also make sure you main pump is pluged in and the outlet actually works

dajonx 09-29-2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eds_tls (Post 738183)
Also make sure you main pump is pluged in and the outlet actually works

Thank you very much! The instructions are extremely helpful!

I should actually test the outlet first, but I don't think that's the culprit since the backup battery is plugged into the same outlet.

tbone2004 09-29-2011 10:22 AM

Not sure if this is helpful, but I have a main pump and then I have a Big Dog backup pump. If the backup turns on for any reason - anytime it is activated - it alarms to let me know. It will do this even if the house still has power. For mine it is basically saying "Hey, I turned on and I should not have - better check it out, cause you either lost power or your main pump is not kicking on"

good luck.

dajonx 09-29-2011 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbone2004 (Post 738260)
your main pump is not kicking on"

That's what I'm worried about.. If the main pump isn't working, I should be able to complain to either the builder of the house or the company of the pump, right?

FisherGuy 09-29-2011 10:35 AM

All those cheap battery backup systems are unreliable and prone to failure.

Not only do they suffer from low pumping capacity (compared to main 120 pump), but they are very inefficient which drains the battery quickly. Additionally, they have no way to check the full charge capacity which decreases as the battery ages.

Checkout www.nexpump.com to learn how the most reliable primary/backup system works.

It's time for the insurance industry to jump on the home builders for putting crap in.

Eds_tls 09-29-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FisherGuy (Post 738277)
All those cheap battery backup systems are unreliable and prone to failure.

Not only do they suffer from low pumping capacity (compared to main 120 pump), but they are very inefficient which drains the battery quickly. Additionally, they have no way to check the full charge capacity which decreases as the battery ages.

Checkout www.nexpump.com to learn how the most reliable primary/backup system works.

It's time for the insurance industry to jump on the home builders for putting crap in.

I bought mine after we lost power and i knew it would be a while before power was restored. It took them 8 full days before the power was back on. The backup worked great for those 7 days and did its job. It empties my sump in less than 20 seconds. It definitely saved me from a flodded basement

I plan on replacing the battery every 3 or 4 years as part of normal maintainance


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved