Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2008, 12:23 PM   #1

Share |

Summer House Electrics

Hi,

I have recently built a summer house and fed mains to it. Mains comes from the shed (which comes from the house) and in the summer house i connected it to a crabtree garage consumer unit. I did this as i will be using it as an office with computer equipment connected to it. I have a mains circuit and a lighting circuit connected to the consumer unit.

Problem i have is that as soon as any electricity is drawn through the consumer unit the mains swith on the consumer unit trips (not the mains or lighting circuit). At first i thought it was a wiring problem so disconnected everything from the consumer unit and connected a lamp to it but again switching on the lamp caused the mains to trip.

I'm no expert and was wondering if the consumer unit has to be connected directly to an uninterupted mains feed. In the shed there is a freezer and outdoor lights connected before the electricity reaches the consumer unit. I'm also certain everything is wired correctly.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Cheers,

Stu.

stu_bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:40 PM   #2

Summer House Electrics

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_bill View Post
Hi,

I have recently built a summer house and fed mains to it. Mains comes from the shed (which comes from the house) and in the summer house i connected it to a crabtree garage consumer unit. I did this as i will be using it as an office with computer equipment connected to it. I have a mains circuit and a lighting circuit connected to the consumer unit.

Problem i have is that as soon as any electricity is drawn through the consumer unit the mains swith on the consumer unit trips (not the mains or lighting circuit). At first i thought it was a wiring problem so disconnected everything from the consumer unit and connected a lamp to it but again switching on the lamp caused the mains to trip.

I'm no expert and was wondering if the consumer unit has to be connected directly to an uninterupted mains feed. In the shed there is a freezer and outdoor lights connected before the electricity reaches the consumer unit. I'm also certain everything is wired correctly.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Cheers,
Stu.
Mains. What do you mean by "mains". Consumer unit. What is a "consumer unit"
If it were wired correctly you would not be tripping anything. I wish I understood your question better. Frankly I have no idea what you are talking about.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:51 PM   #3

Summer House Electrics

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
Mains. What do you mean by "mains". Consumer unit. What is a "consumer unit"
If it were wired correctly you would not be tripping anything. I wish I understood your question better. Frankly I have no idea what you are talking about.

Hi JV

Thanks for the frank response. When i say mains i mean a wire carrying electricity from my house. Also if you dont know what a consumer unit is look here http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...+consumer+unit
Old 07-30-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Summer House Electrics

Methinks he is in the UK!
Old 07-30-2008, 04:04 PM   #5

Summer House Electrics

Me thinks so too! That is some strange looking gear to a guy from Kansas!

Hopefully someone from across the pond can help out!
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:39 PM   #6

Summer House Electrics

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
Verily!
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:43 PM   #7

Summer House Electrics

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
Verily!

Mr. Stu Bill, on your link for Consumer Unit, I've seen designations like that on circuit breaker panels in Germany.
I was never sure what they meant.

Can you further explain the acronyms?
Sorry for the double post.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:26 AM   #8

Summer House Electrics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
Verily!

Mr. Stu Bill, on your link for Consumer Unit, I've seen designations like that on circuit breaker panels in Germany.
I was never sure what they meant.

Can you further explain the acronyms?
Sorry for the double post.

Hi, thanks for all the replies. If you enlarge the image, of the two circuit breakers on the left, the left hand one (B6 61/B06) is a 6A circuit and the right hand one (B32 61/B32) is a 32A circuit. I'm using the 6A one for lights and the 32A one for sockets
Old 07-31-2008, 09:05 AM   #9

Summer House Electrics

We can probably help you with the volts, ohms, amps and conductor temp rise above ambient, but, for sure, the safety rules where you live are different than where we live.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:17 AM   #10

Summer House Electrics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
We can probably help you with the volts, ohms, amps and conductor temp rise above ambient, but, for sure, the safety rules where you live are different than where we live.

OK thanks. I will see if i can find a UK based forum.