DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Suggestions for through-wall bathroom exhaust?

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  ArmchairDIY 
#1 · (Edited)
Wow. Every once in a while you come across something that just defies intuition. Can someone help?

I decided finally to install a bathroom fan in my home's only bathroom. It is a seven by eight foot small bathroom with standard height ceiling. It shares one wall with the outside of the house. A through wall fan would be ideal to situate above the window near the ceiling. A ceiling mounted fan would require many many times the amount of labor, scrambling around in the attic, hole in the ceiling and roof, etc.

So I googled through-wall bathroom fans. None of the local home improvement big box stores carry a through wall fan. That was my first suprise. But my bigger suprise was that the only one I could find available is a Panasonic 70cfm for almost the price of a budget washing machine!!!! What is up with that? It's a 12lb plastic and stamped steel squirrel cage behind a plastic grille. What is going on here? I did see one other that used a radial fan at 5.5 sones, but that is way too loud. I realize that better, less noisy fans are costly, but there are plenty of ceiling mount models at reasonable prices.

Sorry for the histrionics. I'm just amazed and pretty irritated that a reasonably priced through wall fan is, seemingly, not available.
Can anyone suggest another model? If the depth is suitable, will this fan,
http://shop.menards.com/shop/20090519001/p-56467.htm?cid=1357
for instance, be moutable in the wall space? The downloadable instruction sheets do not indicate any wall installation but I don't see why it would not be possible.

Thanks so much.

See less See more
#2 ·
The problem with wall mounting a fan is the exhaust tends to exit under the soffit. The attic vents will draw the moisture into the attic. If the soffit is not vented you will still get moisture on the soffit causing other problems.
I have never wall mounted a bath fan, those are just the issues that came to mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.