Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2010, 08:59 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Sufficient Power To Basement Room?

I'm adding a 13x18 room to the basement. A single 15 amp line is powering the outlets and lights along with a single 220 volt 20 amp line for two six foot electric baseboard heaters.

I'm sure the 220 line is enough....my question is the 15 amp line, will they force me to run another line to split up the room using 2 circuits? The only things running will be some lights, a TV, mini fridge and an exhaust fan for my cigars that draws 75 watts.

Just curious about this.

MoreBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
Just call me Andrew

Is it new construction? 15A would probably be sufficient, but if you are building from scratch, I would oversize things to allow you to do more in the future.

I'd split the outlets to their own 20A circuit and leave the lighting on 15. Do you have lots of room in your panel? If so, the additional cost isn't that much. You might want to at least bump up the breaker to 20A (and 12 AWG wiring).

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:57 AM   #3

I did the 15 amp line wiring already with 14 gauge. I did run an additional 15 amp line down there for future use and have it boxed off in the ceiling so if they bust my chops, I could run that over although rather not.

I have 12 outlets on the line along with 4 recessed light cans in the ceiling on a dimmer.

Quite honestly, if I was not hiring a contractor for the sheetrock work (way too heavy for me sine I have no help), I'd do this project without permits.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:08 AM   #4
Just call me Andrew

I don't recommend doing it without a permit. But I doubt an inspector would give you a hard time about it. The reason I'd up the capacity is for your benefit, not the inspector's.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:27 AM   #5

I agree with you on the permit issue as they're real picky in the town I live in central NJ.

Example....I had a permit to place a 10x15 pre-manufactured wood shed in the backyard. A few months after the shed was dropped off, I got a certified notice from them in the mail wanting to fine me $250,000, (yes $250,000) since I didn't have a "building permit too"....just had a permit to "place" the shed in the yard.

Even though the shed was already built....they were treating it as construction taking place on my property.

All this "great treatment" I get along with $15,000 per year in property taxes.