Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2007, 11:05 AM   #1

Share |

Subpanel wiring

I had an electrician install a subpanel in my basement shortly after framing. I had completed the rough electrical and have run all the home runs to the panel, leaving extra wire at the panel (~2 feet). I have 10 circuits to wire and all but 2 are originating from above the panel, which is attached to a stud. The 2 that enter from below are secured to a stud below the panel. I have also attached a 2x6 across the studs above the panel to secure the 8 wires that are running down from above (before they enter the panel). I have 5 knockouts with strain reliefs installed for those that will enter the top. I have done the same for the bottom. My question is 3 of the 8 wire that are coming from above the panel (and secured to the 2x6 above the panel) need to enter the panel from below. Is it okay to run them behind the panel and then enter the knockouts without securing them further (beyond the 2x6 above and the strain relief clamp in the knockout) or do I need to secure them to either the stud or another 2x below the panel before they enter? Any advice would be helpful.

drtpdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:35 PM   #2
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Subpanel wiring

How many cables do you have secured by the clamps in the top knockouts? It is fine to have two 12/2 G or 14/2 G secured by one clamp.

Last edited by Stubbie; 12-18-2007 at 02:10 PM.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:38 PM   #3

Subpanel wiring

I only have 5 secured in the top knockouts. If I can double up on 3, I could get all 8 in through the top and the remaining 2 can stay on the bottom. There is no "code" violation with having 2 12/2's secured by the same clamp/strain relief?

Thanks!
drtpdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:06 PM   #4
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Subpanel wiring

Yes it is fine to do that... if you read on the package that the clamps came in it will tell you how many and what size allowed to be secured on the clamp. I had a typo in the previous post should be 12/2 G. And no there is no code violation as long as the clamp is listed for 2 cables. I don't know any off hand that are not. Do not over tighten your clamps

Last edited by Stubbie; 12-18-2007 at 02:09 PM.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote