Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2009, 09:22 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Subpanel for now, convert to 2nd main panel later?

I just purchased a pre-1900s Victorian home with knob-n-tube wiring throughout that I'm beginning to replace. The home was at one point a double, divided between first and second floors. There are two meters at the house, and two 100 amp main panels in the basement.

Prior to me buying the house, the one meter socket was pulled and all lines were moved to one panel. So, at this point, I have one empty meter outside and one empty 100 amp panel in the basement. Currently I'll be living in the home and would like to keep everything on one main. Down the road, however, I'd like to duplex the house once again and would divide the electric between first and second floors.

So, my question is, would it be advisable to relocate the now empty main panel in the basement to the second floor, setting it as a 100 amp subpanel? Then, as I'm updating the knob-and-tube in the second floor (3 br, full bath, laundry with washer/dryer), it would all stem from this subpanel. Then, down the road when I would duplex the house, I could switch this subpanel over to a main panel on a seperate meter.

In my plan, the subpanel would be located in a second floor closet, on an exterior wall that is directly vertical from the basement main panel. At the moment, that wall is an open cavity that I could easily run line and/or conduit between the second floor and the basement. If this sounds like the ideal way to do it, what type of line should I be running? Also, would I run the subpanel at its full 100 amp, or 60?

abmiller67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:23 PM   #2

The closet could not be a clothes closet
In additon you need 30" clearance width for the panel - measure from either side or more centered/off center on the panel
And 3' clearance in front of the panel
The new feed (when run) is supposed to connect to the breaker (or a shutoff) within around 5' of entering the house

So if an overhead feed the panel should be near where that wire will enter

Maybe more to it then this, what I can think of right now

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:44 PM   #3
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by abmiller67 View Post
I just purchased a pre-1900s Victorian home with knob-n-tube wiring throughout that I'm beginning to replace. The home was at one point a double, divided between first and second floors. There are two meters at the house, and two 100 amp main panels in the basement.

Prior to me buying the house, the one meter socket was pulled and all lines were moved to one panel. So, at this point, I have one empty meter outside and one empty 100 amp panel in the basement. Currently I'll be living in the home and would like to keep everything on one main. Down the road, however, I'd like to duplex the house once again and would divide the electric between first and second floors.

So, my question is, would it be advisable to relocate the now empty main panel in the basement to the second floor, setting it as a 100 amp subpanel? Then, as I'm updating the knob-and-tube in the second floor (3 br, full bath, laundry with washer/dryer), it would all stem from this subpanel. Then, down the road when I would duplex the house, I could switch this subpanel over to a main panel on a seperate meter.

In my plan, the subpanel would be located in a second floor closet, on an exterior wall that is directly vertical from the basement main panel. At the moment, that wall is an open cavity that I could easily run line and/or conduit between the second floor and the basement. If this sounds like the ideal way to do it, what type of line should I be running? Also, would I run the subpanel at its full 100 amp, or 60?

You maybe able to do this, but, you will very likely need to use a external (outside) disconnect / breaker, so a panel or a meter combo is your service equipment.

There maybe other rules that apply to a rental type of situation that I don't know about.

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote