Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2008, 06:18 PM   #1

Share |

SubPanel-NM Cable in Conduit?

I am installing a 70amp sub panel in my attached garage. The run from the main panel is approx 50 to 60 feet. I would like to use #4/3 Cable instead of individual wires. Most of the run is under a floor and I plan on fastening to the bottom of the rafters or perhaps through holes I'll drill in the floor rafter. However a portion of the run goes through a storage area we have under the house and I would prefer to have the cable in this area protected by conduit. This portion would be about 20ft in the middle of the run. I understand it is against code to put cable in conduit? Would it be ok (safe) to put this portion in conduit? Any type (PVC, EMT, Flex)is ok by me. It will not be inspected.

blankcek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

You can put it in pipe for the purpose you stated " protection from physical damage.

wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:48 PM   #3

Thank you. On the subject, I have a couple 20 amp runs I will be making. Romex cable is easier for me but I like the idea of putting it in flex to keep the varmints from trying to chew on it. Is there any danger to this? And is it ok from a code standpoint?
blankcek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:06 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

How much flex are you talking about? You may just want to use some mc.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:21 AM   #5

However a portion of the run goes through a storage area we have under the house and I would prefer to have the cable in this area protected by conduit. This portion would be about 20ft in the middle of the run. I understand it is against code to put cable in conduit? Would it be ok (safe) to put this portion in conduit? Any type (PVC, EMT, Flex)is ok by me. It will not be inspected.[/quote]

There is no code violation for putting cable inside conduit.
Avoid using conduit would be my suggestion. If you have rodent problems I would address this issue before the electrical job. But I understand those little buggers can do some serious damage if not controlled.

Inspections ensure that your project is safe, code compliant and completed with good solid workmanship. Your comment that it will not be inspected concerns me.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:51 PM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
There is no code violation for putting cable inside conduit.
Sure there is. Code doesn't specifically say "can't put cable in conduit." When people say that is because generally if you need to put "cable" in conduit as in NM (which we're talking about) it's usually in a location that NM isn't allowed other than protection from physical damage. When I have a run of NM and I need to go through a location that's not permitted, I strip the sheathing and the paper. There's hardly an always or never situation in anything, regardless of the trade you're in. As in his storage area, his AJH may consider this a damp location. I know at least one of mine would.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:57 PM   #7

This might work www.speedwayelectricalproducts.com
tom25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:41 AM   #8
Licensed Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankcek View Post
I am installing a 70amp sub panel in my attached garage. The run from the main panel is approx 50 to 60 feet. I would like to use #4/3 Cable instead of individual wires. Most of the run is under a floor and I plan on fastening to the bottom of the rafters or perhaps through holes I'll drill in the floor rafter. However a portion of the run goes through a storage area we have under the house and I would prefer to have the cable in this area protected by conduit. This portion would be about 20ft in the middle of the run. I understand it is against code to put cable in conduit? Would it be ok (safe) to put this portion in conduit? Any type (PVC, EMT, Flex)is ok by me. It will not be inspected.
Using PVC would eliminate the requirement for bonding the metal conduit in the middle of the run. It is not a violation of code to run the cable inside the conduit.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:19 AM   #9

It bears mentioning that there's no such thing as conduit that won't take in water. NM romex should not be used in a burial application, even when installed in conduit.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
It bears mentioning that there's no such thing as conduit that won't take in water. NM romex should not be used in a burial application, even when installed in conduit.
Exactly

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote