DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

subpanel mounting on concrete basement foundation wall

22K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  HCDawg 
#1 ·
Are there are code issues with mounting a subpanel directly to the concrete foundation wall of a basement, vs screwing OSB or plywood to concrete basement wall, then screwing the subpanel onto the board? The basement is finished, but foundation walls are bare concrete, electrical stuff is surface AC cable when it needs to provide outlets and devices on foundation wall. Basement is always dry, no sump pumps, no moisture coming through foundation wall. Very low water table area.

#5 ·
There aren't basements around here, so I have no residential experience here, but it's very common to mount a panel, and conduit directly to a concrete wall in a commercial/industrial building.

I usually use Tapcons to anchor the panel, and either unistrut or one-hole straps to hold the conduit, again with Tapcons.

Rob

#6 ·
Concur. Here we have lots of basements and we mount them directly to the concrete or block wall. Tapcons (blue concrete screws) are my favorite, but nail pins are good too. There is no concern about strapping cables at least in my house as I use EMT in basements. :thumbsup:

#9 · (Edited)
I use ss tapcons or Sleeve anchors

I agree that a tapcon is a good choice but my company uses ss sleeve anchors because they have a higher holding value. I would not use the hammer drive (metal hit) anchor because it is made out of zamac. Zamac is a pliable metal that has much lower holding values than steel and is a lot less rust resistant. The tapcon is also removable and the hammer drive anchor may drive you to kill yourself if you try to remove it.

#10 ·
I agree that a tapcon is a good choice but my company uses ss sleeve anchors because they have a higher holding value. I would not use the hammer drive (metal hit) anchor because it is made out of zamac. Zamac is a pliable metal that has much lower holding values than steel and is a lot less rust resistant. The tapcon is also removable and the hammer drive anchor may drive you to kill yourself if you try to remove it.

What? No way man. A tapcon can become loose with not too much effort at all. I'll give it to you that it can be removed easily, but I usually don't put stuff in just to take it out again. And, if you get the hammer drives with the phillips head center pin, it is relatively easy to get back out. Worst case, you have to drill it, but that is rare.

#12 ·
I remove nail drive pins with a chisel and a BIG hammer. They come out, but don't count on saving the box or conduit that it is supporting. I am just the opposite. I used drive pins most of my career. Now the blue screws are all I use. I HATE plastic anchors for any application.

#13 ·
Hi all...new guy here....Tapcons are pretty....past that they have a very low shear point so when you really really want your box in this exact location you better not give the tapcon that little extra twist or you are moving the box over and away from the pretty broken tapcon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.