Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2011, 07:44 AM   #1

Share |

Subpanel Location per code

I have 2 sub panels that need to be replaced. Both are fed from a new main panel that was put in 7 yrs ago before I bought the place. One is fed with 2/6 SE cable Other hads #2 cable w 3 conductors and ground. Neither has separated neutral and ground. For ease of runninng new feeds and fixing the neutral/ground problem,I want to relocate panels. Best place (for me) is in a stairway (4ft wide 10 ft long. But would not have a flat platform under the panels. Is this legit according to NEC? I'm in Tennessee.
Thanks in advance
theparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:51 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

The panel cannot be located over the stairs. Over a platform on the stairs would work.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:27 AM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply! How about on a wall that backs a bathroom? No plumbing in wall but it has a shower on the opposite side.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
Electrical Contractor

No problem if the bathroom is on the back side ... BUT you can't put it in a clothes closet, either. What room or area are you considering?

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:35 PM   #5

I have two buildings joined by a flat roofed area. An extension to a walkout basement on the one building. This area is finished with a double bathroom on one end and a utility room on the other - total of 10'x35' These are commercial bldgs. 40 years of jack leg plumbers and would be electricians have worked on it. All of the neutrals and grounds were tied together and clamped to a single # 6 insulated copper line above the panel covered up and then tied into the ground bar on one panel. The other panel has neutrals and grounds run into the same buss. If I can move the panels over a few feet I can eliminate that and tie it all together according to code without having to do any splicing. Panels are burnt in places and there is obviously some arcing. Not an electrician ,just a retired union carpenter,but I've been around enough to know this ain't right Most of the lights were controlled by the breakers not switches. I love my retirement!

Tags
subpanel