Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #1

Share |

Subpanel in Garage for woodshop

Hi all! I'm hoping for some help here - i'm setting up my detached, 2 car garage for a woodshop and I want to place a subpanel in it. The garage has 2 12 gauge circuits running out there with each having a dedicated 20 amp slot in the main panel. The line is buried in 3/4" conduit and runs at least 110' from th main panel.

Here are the questions:
1. I need to conserve cash, and I saw a 125 amp breaker at homedepot for a good price - i can use that, correct?

2. There is the potential for me to get a Delta Unisaw for free, but it runs 240v. Can the current set up (with the 12 gauge wiring and 20 amp circuits) be configured to allow me to run a dedicated 240 outlet for it?

3. What other suggestions do you have? I was, originally, worried about overall power, but with it being a woodshop I won't be running many machines at the same time, so I think I will be okay. I am planning on having lights and air filter (and, occasionally, a vaccum) on the same line and tools on another.

logan.newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #2

Well if the conduit is a home run back to the main panel maybe you pull out the 12AWG wire and us it to pull in a 40-60A circuit to feed the garage sub panel. Then use the salvaged 12AWG to run all the branch circuits you want in the garage. You can do a 240VAC 20A circuit for the Unisaw easily this way. Just put in a 20A dual pole breaker in the sub panel and run it to a Nema 6-20 style plug at a location convenient for the saw. You should keep the 240/20A circuit dedicated to a double pole breaker. The rest of the 125V can be run off of 15 or 20A breakers as you see fit. They need to be GFCI protected either at your sub panel or at the receptacle.

Be sure to run 4 wires to sub panel from main and remove the ground to neutral bonding lug if installed at the sub panel. In fact if there is only a neutral bar you'll need to add a ground bar as well and keep the neutral floating from the panel case. Ground and neutral can only be tied together once at the main panel, never at a sub panel.

Last edited by curiousB; 06-14-2012 at 12:33 PM.
curiousB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #3

You are going to need ground rods or such at the garage/shop also.
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan.newman View Post
The garage has 2 12 gauge circuits running out there with each having a dedicated 20 amp slot in the main panel. The line is buried in 3/4" conduit and runs at least 110' from th main panel.
This in itself is a violation, unless its a MWBC consisting of one neutral, two hots and a double pole 20 amp breaker. Is this what you have?

Now to the question.
The post above is correct regarding a sub panel. Using the search function, check out the hundreds of posts on this subject.
Then please report back with any extra help you may need.

Just one more thing.
A 3/4" conduit at this distance may not be re-useable and very limited as far as upgrade.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #5

Thanks for the help! Incidentally, i did look at some other threads about this and couldn't find what i was looking for - thanks for the replies anyway
logan.newman is offline   Reply With Quote