Subpanel Enclosure Framing - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2010, 10:13 AM   #1
I ask the impossible!

Rewards Points: 508

Subpanel enclosure framing

Just wanted to post a diagram of what I have planned to see if there's anything wrong with this plan.

I was planning to surface mount the panel and run cables down from the ceiling inside 3/4" PVC conduit, and I'd attach to the service panel with adaptors, but I'm running 10 circuits and I was thinking I'd put 4 conduits so I could leave open capacity for expansion later... So, I did some searching around and was reading about de-rating cables that is required in certain circumstances when you run multiple cables in conduit, I decided I'd rather just avoid the hassle of sorting that out...

So I came up with this enclosure from 2x4's in the diagram shown below, which I'll attach over the existing wall in the utility room and enclose with drywall after rough inspection.

Does this plan sound appropriate, and out of curiousity I'd be interested to hear if anyone can explain if there was anything wrong or if the de-rating doesn't apply if the run was just a 21" conduit run to where it penetrated a drywall ceiling? I might need to figure that one out anyway because the main panel is surface mounted, I've run 2 cables to it (sub-panel feeder and smoke detector circuit) so far each cable has its own conduit, but I could see needing to run something into that main panel might come up.
Attached Thumbnails
Subpanel enclosure framing-panel-enclosure-plan.jpg  

Advertisement

WillK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,770

That mounting method would not be considered surface mounted to allow you to use the sleeves to get the cables into the panel. I would just run the cables directly into the panel. For the future you could run a conduit out and place an accessible junction box with a blank cover.

Advertisement

Old 12-20-2010, 10:42 AM   #3
I ask the impossible!

Rewards Points: 508

Did I get wordy again?

The sub-panel I'm putting in, I was originally planning to surface mount, but to avoid potential de-rating issues I changed to this enclosure so I wouldn't need conduit and wouldn't need to deal with things I'd need to deal with if it was surface mounted.

The main panel is surface mounted... Although your response got the wheels turning in my head... "maybe if I needed to do anything with the main panel, I should just build it a similar enclosure as well."
WillK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:22 AM   #4
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,206

Two vertical studs spaced apart by the width of the panel is more than adequate. Sleeves 24" or less preclude derating.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote