Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Subpanel in Detached Workshop

Hello,

I'm new to this forum but people here seem to be very helpful. I have been trying to research running electrical to my detached garage but haven't found a scenario that matches mine.

I just bought a new house and want to move my workshop out to the detached garage. My workshop will contain a table saw, drill press, dust collector, planer and other misc. small tools but they are all 120v. Eventually I would like to put a window A/C unit out there for extremely humid/hot days and that may need to be 240v but I would like to stick with 120v. I will be the only one working out there so only 2-3 of pieces of equipment will be running at a time, for example I may be running the dust collector and table saw possibly the a/c unit if I ever get it.

The garage will require about 80 feet of wire from main panel in the house to the sub-panel and it will be run underground in conduit. I'm thinking I will need 6-3 wire to feed a 50 amp sub panel with grounding rod. I have heard the wire needs to be stripped in the conduit and then I've heard don't strip it.

So I guess the big questions are what type of wire do I need? Is a 50 amp sub panel going to be enough? Do I need to strip the wire in the conduit? I'm open to any thoughts/suggestions anyone has.

Thanks!!

tempest1785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,342

We get this same question about once a week. Do a search through the forums, it has already been covered over and over.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

.....AND welcome to the forum. Plenty of knowledgable pros here willing to take the time to answer your questions (I'm just another DIYer, not one of them).
silversport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest1785 View Post
Hello,

I'm new to this forum but people here seem to be very helpful. I have been trying to research running electrical to my detached garage but haven't found a scenario that matches mine.

I just bought a new house and want to move my workshop out to the detached garage. My workshop will contain a table saw, drill press, dust collector, planer and other misc. small tools but they are all 120v. Eventually I would like to put a window A/C unit out there for extremely humid/hot days and that may need to be 240v but I would like to stick with 120v. I will be the only one working out there so only 2-3 of pieces of equipment will be running at a time, for example I may be running the dust collector and table saw possibly the a/c unit if I ever get it.

The garage will require about 80 feet of wire from main panel in the house to the sub-panel and it will be run underground in conduit. I'm thinking I will need 6-3 wire to feed a 50 amp sub panel with grounding rod. I have heard the wire needs to be stripped in the conduit and then I've heard don't strip it.

So I guess the big questions are what type of wire do I need? Is a 50 amp sub panel going to be enough? Do I need to strip the wire in the conduit? I'm open to any thoughts/suggestions anyone has.

Thanks!!
You cannot strip NM-B cable and then pull it into conduit. Plan to use THWN wire.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
Lic Electrical Inspector

Rewards Points: 1,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest1785 View Post
Hello,

Thanks!!

Please update your profile with city/state and NEC version. It will make it easier for we professionals to assist you.
Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7ecorsair View Post
You cannot strip NM-B cable and then pull it into conduit. Plan to use THWN wire.
Yeah, stick with conduit and THWN. And I would oversize the conduit just in case you find out that a 50 amp panel just isn't large enough. That way you can pull larger wires if the need arises. It is true that these type of installations have been reported here time and time and again, but if you want answers tailored to your questions you must ask them yourself....as you did. Have you done this type of electrical work before?
Old 05-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #7

I have done a lot of electrical inside a house and even replaced a couple of main breaker panels but never ran a sub panel or anything outside.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #8

One more question. Home Depot carries a 6 awg stranded wire with all 4 wires in a sleeve/casing whatever you want to call it. Can I run that in the conduit or do I need to buy each wire separately?
Old 05-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #9

What you need will be 4 individual wires....3 6's and a number 8 for ground...and they need to be THWN, rated for damp locations. (underground conduit is considered a damp location no matter how well it is sealed)
Old 05-05-2012, 10:59 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 250

if its NM cable, no good.
kevinp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:10 PM   #11
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
What you need will be 4 individual wires....3 6's and a number 8 for ground...and they need to be THWN, rated for damp locations. (underground conduit is considered a damp location no matter how well it is sealed)

Most THHN is dual rated THHN/THWN.
k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
Most THHN is dual rated THHN/THWN.
You are probably right....but I'm old school and remember when it was just THHN or TW.