Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Subpanel Delima

I have a 150 amp panel (that doesn't take tandem's). I have 3 slots left on my panel but I need at least 5 for some stuff that I'm adding. I was thinking about just adding a sub panel. For some reason they say 100 amp on the box but they only sell 60 amp breakers. Is 60 amp ok to use for the feeder? Also I really want to get a solar array some day. I suspect it would need a slot or two on the main panel. Does anyone have any insight on that? If so where should I leave the extra space, on the main or the sub?

Last question...Is sub panel a half ass way of doing it or should I be looking at replacing the whole panel with a 200 amp instead?

nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #2

Subpanel Delima

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateo View Post
I have a 150 amp panel (that doesn't take tandem's). I have 3 slots left on my panel but I need at least 5 for some stuff that I'm adding. I was thinking about just adding a sub panel. For some reason they say 100 amp on the box but they only sell 60 amp breakers. Is 60 amp ok to use for the feeder? Also I really want to get a solar array some day. I suspect it would need a slot or two on the main panel. Does anyone have any insight on that? If so where should I leave the extra space, on the main or the sub?

Last question...Is sub panel a half ass way of doing it or should I be looking at replacing the whole panel with a 200 amp instead?

You can buy a 100 amp dbl pole breaker, for they do sale those for most brands. OR you can exchange the current panel bought for a 100 amp that already comes with the main. You will also need to purchase 100 amp service entry cable to subfeed from the primary panel to the new subpanel.

1) You will take the both hots insert one in each terminal on the 100 amp dbl pole
2) take your neutral insert that in the neutral side of the panel terminal.. AND same with your copper ground. Insert it in the ground terminal(if not shared with the ground) on the terminal side.

NOW:::: with current 100 amp you purchase(if setup for i believe it is), it comes with two line load sides above the bus. You will take one hot and insert it on the left side of the line.. then the other on the right side of the bus. Continue same principal with your neutral and copper ground wire. STILL you will install the 100 amp dbl pole in the main service panel.

Last edited by JuzRick; 11-23-2012 at 07:07 PM.
JuzRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #3

Subpanel Delima

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuzRick View Post
You can buy a 100 amp dbl pole breaker, for they do sale those for most brands. OR you can exchange the current panel bought for a 100 amp that already comes with the main. You will also need to purchase 100 amp service entry cable to subfeed from the primary panel to the new subpanel.

1) You will take the both hots insert one in each terminal on the 100 amp dbl pole
2) take your neutral insert that in the neutral side of the panel terminal.. AND same with your copper ground. Insert it in the ground terminal(if not shared with the ground) on the terminal side.)
Sounds like a pretty good idea. Wonder why they don't sell those at the box stores?
Old 11-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #4

Subpanel Delima

Wired they dont have it available being they sale the box. OR perhaps they just maybe out of stock. Not sure what stores you have around there? If you got Lowe's, Best Buy.. or Home Depot, they will have them, unless again they just currently out of stock.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
Field Service

Subpanel Delima

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateo View Post

A subpanel is not half ass for what you need. If you replace your main panel with a 200 amp it will require much more work and is not a DIY project. 60 amp is fine for a feeder as long as wiring is sized appropriately. You should be able to find 100 amp DP breakers at BB stores. Keep in mind the neutral bus MUST be unbonded from the ground bus on the subpanel.

Last edited by diystephen; 11-23-2012 at 07:27 PM.
diystephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #6

Subpanel Delima

Quote:
Originally Posted by diystephen View Post
A subpanel is not half ass for what you need. If you replace your main panel with a 200 amp it will require much more work and is not a DIY project. 60 amp is fine for a feeder as long as wiring is sized appropriately. You should be able to find 100 amp DP breakers at BB stores.
Agreed: the 60 amp for feeder purposes is fine..depending on what all he's utilizing it for circuit size, he just may need to step it up to a recommended ampere to support the load.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 16

Subpanel Delima

If you need 100 amps for the sub, then you need to think panel upgrade.
I doubt that with only needing 5 circuits, you need more than 60 amps.

They do sell 100 amp breakers at the box stores, but they are in packages and sometime under lock and key.
You do not need a main breaker in the sub panel.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #8

Subpanel Delima

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post

They do sell 100 amp breakers at the box stores, but they are in packages and sometime under lock and key.
He dont necessarily need one.. but its not a bad idea. Convenient purposes is the key to having one in the subpanel(depending on the distance from the main service panel). Just thinking outside the box(mind= common sense).

Last edited by JuzRick; 11-23-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #9

Subpanel Delima

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post

Good information, thanks. What about the solar array?