Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1
Share |
Default

Subpanel Cabling Basics


Hi, I'm installing a new subpanel off of my house's master panel, which is a 150Amp master panel. I'm going to hire an electrican to do the final work (connecting the wires on both ends and inspecting my wire run), but I'm running the cable myself to save money. The existing panel is on the outside of the house, and the new panel will be inside the house in an unfinished section of the basement. The new panel will require about 55 feet of cable to connect to the main manel. The new panel will be a 100Amp panel.

Questions:

1) You can't get Copper SER cable in my area, which was my electrician's recommendation. Per my county, I'd have to run SER #1 in Aluminum to support 100 Amps (I realize this is a subject of much debate based on confusion in the NEC tables, but the local county inspector always has the final word -- and he says SER #1 Aluminum for 100 Amps). Given tha I don't want to run 1 gauge cable due to the fact that the hole in my wall that goes outside the house to the main panel isn't that big -- what other types of cable can I use?
2) Based on the type of cable used in #1, what are the requirements for conduit (wire will be run through teh crawl space, so I can either connect it or the conduit to the floor joists, depending on what is required)?
3) Since the cable will be run mostly inside, but then exit the house about 5 feet from the outside master panel to enter the master panel, what type of conduit do I have to use outside?
4) Is 3/3/3/6 copper the correct gauge for 100 Amps?

ColoradoJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:32 PM   #2
Member
 
bradnailer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 256
Default

Subpanel Cabling Basics


Sorry, I can't help you with the wire questions but you might also check local codes to see what the grounding requirements are for the sub panel.

bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:10 PM   #3
Electrician
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Connecticut, Litchfield
Posts: 2,015
Default

Subpanel Cabling Basics


Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoJay View Post

Questions:

1) You can't get Copper SER cable in my area, which was my electrician's recommendation. Per my county, I'd have to run SER #1 in Aluminum to support 100 Amps (I realize this is a subject of much debate based on confusion in the NEC tables, but the local county inspector always has the final word -- and he says SER #1 Aluminum for 100 Amps). Given tha I don't want to run 1 gauge cable due to the fact that the hole in my wall that goes outside the house to the main panel isn't that big -- what other types of cable can I use?
Just run #2/3 AL. SER and back it with a 90 amp breaker, I serously doubt you actually need the full 100 amps.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoJay View Post
2) Based on the type of cable used in #1, what are the requirements for conduit (wire will be run through teh crawl space, so I can either connect it or the conduit to the floor joists, depending on what is required)?
Staple the wire to the bottom of the joists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoJay View Post
3) Since the cable will be run mostly inside, but then exit the house about 5 feet from the outside master panel to enter the master panel, what type of conduit do I have to use outside?
None, at least not around here, good luck where you live.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoJay View Post
4) Is 3/3/3/6 copper the correct gauge for 100 Amps?
WHy on earth do you want to waste your money on copper for?
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adding a subpanel to a sub-panel and other questions CardinalPilot Electrical 14 03-30-2011 02:23 PM
Another subpanel question:) primal65 Electrical 15 06-22-2008 09:43 AM
Wiring 100A subpanel nebulous Electrical 9 08-29-2007 02:41 PM
Reverse Polarity at the Subpanel adm060306 Electrical 14 07-09-2007 12:58 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.