Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Subpanel on 220 line?

I need to install a subpanel in my warehouse as I am currently out of spots in the main panel yet have a need for more plugs still. My main panel is fed off of a large wall of breakers and meters and is controlled by a 500 amp breaker. My main panel has about 350 amps worth of breakers installed in it. My idea is to take 2 15 amp breakers and open a space for a 100amp 220v circuit. Can I use this to run to a subpanel? The run would be about 75 feet and there is already 2 10 gauge wires along with some 12 gauge wiring running through conduit in place.

Ive installed breakers, new conduit and outlets before but it seems that installing this subpanel is the next step but Ive never done one before and just want to make sure I am thinking about this correctly.

tunaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,056

Subpanel on 220 line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunaman View Post
I need to install a subpanel in my warehouse as I am currently out of spots in the main panel yet have a need for more plugs still. My main panel is fed off of a large wall of breakers and meters and is controlled by a 500 amp breaker. My main panel has about 350 amps worth of breakers installed in it. My idea is to take 2 15 amp breakers and open a space for a 100amp 220v circuit. Can I use this to run to a subpanel? The run would be about 75 feet.

Ive installed breakers, new conduit and outlets before but it seems that installing this subpanel is the next step but Ive never done one before and just want to make sure I am thinking about this correctly.
Seriously, DIY is for your OWN personal HOUSE only....

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
Speedy Petey (07-08-2012)
Old 07-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #3

Subpanel on 220 line?

Uhh... this IS my own personal house. Not everybody lives in the typical residential neighborhood.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
E2 Electrician

Subpanel on 220 line?

Quote:
Uhh... this IS my own personal house. Not everybody lives in the typical residential neighborhood.
Your house is a warehouse? With a 500 amp main breaker?
Old 07-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #5

Subpanel on 220 line?

Well, my house is an apartment built on top of said warehouse. But the warehouse is also mine. Its a lease but I am allowed to make just about any modifications I want that dont affect the structure.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
E2 Electrician

Subpanel on 220 line?

Quote:
Well, my house is an apartment built on top of said warehouse. But the warehouse is also mine. Its a lease but I am allowed to make just about any modifications I want that dont affect the structure.
Around here the landlord cannot do his own wiring, Not sure if that follows suite to every part of the country, maybe someone else can chime in on this.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #7

Subpanel on 220 line?

Landlord or tenant? But on another note, we all want to do stuff safely and the right way but are you calling me out on a code violation over who does the work?
Old 07-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
E2 Electrician

Subpanel on 220 line?

Quote:
Landlord or tenant? But on another note, we all want to do stuff safely and the right way but are you calling me out on a code violation over who does the work?
When it comes to rental property, a landlord OR tenant cannot perform his or her own electrical work on said property...

And not calling you out on anything, just saying you need to find out if you can legally do this work or not.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

Subpanel on 220 line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
Around here the landlord cannot do his own wiring, Not sure if that follows suite to every part of the country, maybe someone else can chime in on this.

I don't know where you live but here in Quakertown PA I know for a FACT that landlords can do any repairs to their building including electric work as long as they have a premit and their work in inspected.
kidAddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #10
E2 Electrician

Subpanel on 220 line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidAddy View Post
I don't know where you live but here in Quakertown PA I know for a FACT that landlords can do any repairs to their building including electric work as long as they have a premit and their work in inspected.
*shudders* and again, i was only pointing out the fact that he should investigate his own situation to save him some trouble in the future.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #11

Subpanel on 220 line?

What trouble? I have been here 5 years with no issues. Pulling permits today would be a bigger headache than dealing with them when the property is sold. The apartment on the roof is an addition for which the landlord has permit paperwork from the 70s but if you go to the city they have no record of it. Why invite questions by asking for a permit now?

I just want to make sure that the work is done properly so that later on down the road it is just permitted after the fact rather than needing to be ripped out and redone.

That being said, I think I found the answer to my question. For the length of run I am doing and the amount of power I want to use I should be using 2 or 1 gauge wire and I need 4 wires. 2 for the service, 1 ground, and 1 neutral so the 220 line wont work.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #12
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,038

Subpanel on 220 line?

You are leasing this building. You are NOT the owner or the landlord.
From your original post I can easily tell you are not experienced enough to be adding a sub-panel to a commercial space (YES, that is what this is) that you do not own. Even if you did you'd be out of place doing it.
I agree with the others. Do the RIGHT thing and hire a qualified electrician.

And no, the #10 will not work for your new "220 line".
The Following User Says Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
Jim Port (07-09-2012)
Old 07-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #13
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Subpanel on 220 line?

I think what he's saying is that he wants to run the new wires for the subpanel in with some existing branch circuits which is also a big no no. You can't have feeders and branch in the same conduit. Well you can't here at least. I'm not sure how getting the permit after the works done works. Can someone explain that to me. I've never heard of it before.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #14
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,038

Subpanel on 220 line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
I'm not sure how getting the permit after the works done works. Can someone explain that to me. I've never heard of it before.
It's very common in places like NYC and other metro/high tax areas.
NO ONE gets permits unless that absolutely have to.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:17 AM   #15
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,010

Subpanel on 220 line?

Quote:
My main panel is fed off of a large wall of breakers and meters and is controlled by a 500 amp breaker. My main panel has about 350 amps worth of breakers installed in it. My idea is to take 2 15 amp breakers and open a space for a 100amp 220v circuit. Can I use this to run to a subpanel? The run would be about 75 feet and there is already 2 10 gauge wires along with some 12 gauge wiring running through conduit in place.

Aside from legal issues, you are not qualified to be working in a panel like this. The electrical system in an industrial building with a 500A main almost certainly has available fault current of many tens of thousands of amps. One slip with a screwdriver or loose wire in the panel can cause an arc flash: an explosion of molten metal and plasma which will set all your clothes and your whole body on fire and cause fatal burns before you can even turn to run away. This is not to be messed with. Search youtube if you've never seen what this looks like.

Also, you're far enough off in your approach to calculating available panel capacity and determining how to run a subpanel feeder that you really need to develop more knowledge and understanding with simpler projects first. There's a very large knowledge gap between where you are and where you need to be to tackle this.

Hire an electrician.

mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote