Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2008, 07:18 AM   #1
electrician / handyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: south jersey
Posts: 16
Share |
Default

subpanel


does a subpanel in a house need separate ground rods

sethc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:21 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,802
Default

subpanel


Doesn't your tag line say you're an electrician?

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:24 AM   #3
electrician / handyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: south jersey
Posts: 16
Default

subpanel


I need a quick answer I am in the code book now i have been a commercial electrician for 14 years and in commercial work all subpanels need a separate steel ground not sure about residential SA
sethc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:51 AM   #4
Licensed Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SC
Posts: 1,539
Default

subpanel


Quote:
Originally Posted by sethc View Post
does a subpanel in a house need separate ground rods
If the subpanel is inside the same structure as the main panel, it does not need a separate ground rod, but it does need to be fed by four wires (H,H,N,G). It does not have to have its own disconnect.
If the subpanel is in a separate structure, it must have a grounding electrode (rod), its own disconnect, and preferably be fed by four wires.
__________________
"Life is hard. Life is harder when you're stupid." John Wayne
HouseHelper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:55 AM   #5
electrician / handyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: south jersey
Posts: 16
Default

subpanel


thanks for the answer house helper
sethc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:57 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,802
Default

subpanel


Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseHelper View Post
If the subpanel is inside the same structure as the main panel, it does not need a separate ground rod, but it does need to be fed by four wires (H,H,N,G). It does not have to have its own disconnect.
If the subpanel is in a separate structure, it must have a grounding electrode (rod), its own disconnect, and preferably be fed by four wires.
What is the rule with disconnects? If the sub panel only has six breakers, is a disconnect still required at the outbuilding?
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:44 PM   #7
My License Ain't 4 Sale..
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Atlanta, Ga/Hamilton, Al
Posts: 1,813
Default

subpanel


Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
What is the rule with disconnects? If the sub panel only has six breakers, is a disconnect still required at the outbuilding?
No, but only if it isn't considered a lighting and appliance branch circuit panel.

InPhase277
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:27 PM   #8
Electrician
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Connecticut, Litchfield
Posts: 2,015
Default

subpanel


Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase277 View Post
No, but only if it isn't considered a lighting and appliance branch circuit panel.

InPhase277

Which is going away in the 2008 edition...

chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adding a subpanel to a sub-panel and other questions CardinalPilot Electrical 14 03-30-2011 02:23 PM
subpanel question Brik Electrical 2 11-30-2008 05:31 AM
Wiring 100A subpanel nebulous Electrical 9 08-29-2007 02:41 PM
Reverse Polarity at the Subpanel adm060306 Electrical 14 07-09-2007 12:58 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.