DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Subfeed to New House from Existing Garage???

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  rrolleston 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have an existing garage / apartment with a 200 amp, GE main panel. Off the main panel I have a 4 wire 60 amp subfeed to my barn. I am building my new home adjacent to the garage.

What are my options in getting electrical service to the new house from the existing garage?

• Can I run 200 AMP subfeed wire from the main panel to a 200 AMP subfeed panel in the house?
  • Can I install a trough from the meter socket and connect two sets of wires to each panel in the garage and house, thus making them both mains?
  • Can I completely reconfigure the entire set up and make the new panel in the house the MAIN by running 200 AMP service from meter socket on garage to house? Then running a 125 AMP subfeed back to the existing 200 AMP main panel in garage? This distance back and forth is 100 feet?
The electric company transformers sits between barn and garage. The house sits opposite side of garage. Basically from left to right, barn, garage, house. I don't want 2 meter sockets, so adding another line from the transformer is really not an option?

The existing 200 AMP main panel in the garage will have most of it's circuits abandoned when we vacate the apartment above the garage. Due to our sewer restrictions we cannot maintain the apartment.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

Thank you!

See less See more
#2 ·
scuba.man said:
[*]Can I run 200 AMP subfeed wire from the main panel to a 200 AMP subfeed panel in the house? Yes

[*]Can I completely reconfigure the entire set up and make the new panel in the house the MAIN by running 200 AMP service from meter socket on garage to house? Then running a 125 AMP subfeed back to the existing 200 AMP main panel in garage? This distance back and forth is 100 feet? Yes but why go to all this trouble and expense of wires running back and forth. Just leave main panel in garage and put sub panel in house and be done with it.
Answers above

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.