Sub-panel Wiring Needs - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

sub-panel wiring needs

Hi!
I would like to have a 50A 240/120 sub-panel in my basement. There is a less than 40 feet run 2-conductor and ground wire cable there with the following print on it 6-6-8 Type SE cable Type XHHW CDRS 300V to ground E11134M (UL). Also, the ground wire that goes to my main panel is running very close by.
Question: for a sub-panel, can I run the 2 hot wires from my main panel on this cable and use the ground for return, or very much against NEC? The ground needs to be separate for a sub-panel, but as I said, running close by already.
Thanks for your help!
Mike

Advertisement

mikeclueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
Field Service

Rewards Points: 81

sub-panel wiring needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeclueless View Post
Question: for a sub-panel, can I run the 2 hot wires from my main panel on this cable and use the ground for return, or very much against NEC? The ground needs to be separate for a sub-panel, but as I said, running close by already.
Thanks for your help!
Mike
No, you cannot use a ground as the return. You will need 3 conductor wire for 2 hots and a neutral. It will also contain a ground wire. The neutral and ground will also need to be unbonded in the sub panel.

Advertisement

diystephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

sub-panel wiring needs

Mike: for a 50 amp subpanel you need at least #6, 4 conductor to properly feed the service as needed. So your looking at: a 50 amp dbl pole breaker coming from the main service equipment to the subpanel line side. Two hot conductors on each line side.. then your neutral on the neutral side terminal, and the ground on its ground terminal side(if not shared..depending on the panel setup). I hope I read comprehended you, answered your question correctly!

Last edited by JuzRick; 11-23-2012 at 03:28 PM.
JuzRick is offline   Reply With Quote