Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #1

Share |

Sub Panel Upstairs in my house

Have a 100 amp sub at the top of my stairs going to my in basement Main Panel. I put it in 10 yrs or so ago using AC 3-wire red/blk/wht, the entire house is wired in AC cable. I should be good with the jumper bar detached, neutral not bonded to panel and grounds/neutrals seperated? Now on to my other question, the sub has it's own 100 amp disconnect, I installed it so the back door would clear it when opened. from the inside dining room door the panel it is easily reached to shut the main or other breakers as you are looking at the middle of the panel from the top step of the dining room.Is this legal have 45 inches width but it is a bit high to reach from the landing going to the basement. The Fire marshall and the inspectors from the insurance co and the building dept didn't mention it, when we had a fire in the kitchen a few months after I remodeled it! No it wasn't my work that caused it, was one of those stinking plugin oil-filled air fresheners my other half plugged in under one of the kitchen cabinets, it literally got so damn hot it melted into a fireball like burning Testor's model glue. Just 2 weeks after I did the damn kitchen. All they said was nice job on the wiring after they ripped the sheetrock off.
Thanx all, Bobby from Long Island , NY
Amazingglazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

36 inches of clearance bubble is all that is needed. If they did not mention it, I would not worry about it. Now of course, if you did a complete gut of the whole place, now is the time to do a proper wire job and eliminate that sub panel, and put in a large enough panel.

Now the question is, since you had the fire, are you willing to just forgive the cost and go afcki all across the board to protect everything, and make sure that gfci is in place for the places needed (outside, basement, laundry, kitchen, bath, garage/carport).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:52 PM   #3

I put the sub in on purpose, that if I ever made the house a mother daughter I could seperate the elec services. only things I need to be at 2011 code are afci and interconnected fire/smoke/co detectors. thinking of having a alarm co do that. How about it the 3-wire AC feeder and the rest of it I stated in my OP? Stubbie, Speedy...anyone?

Last edited by Amazingglazier; 01-22-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Amazingglazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
36 inches of clearance bubble is all that is needed. If they did not mention it, I would not worry about it. Now of course, if you did a complete gut of the whole place, now is the time to do a proper wire job and eliminate that sub panel, and put in a large enough panel.

Now the question is, since you had the fire, are you willing to just forgive the cost and go afcki all across the board to protect everything, and make sure that gfci is in place for the places needed (outside, basement, laundry, kitchen, bath, garage/carport).
I know everything, just ask me.
I must have slept thru this class, what does 36 inches of clearance bubble is all that is needed. Mean?
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote