Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sub-panel question

This is a question I can't seem to find an answer to and I am sorry if it is a Noob question but I figure folks here may know straight away.

I am going to placing a sub-panel in my basement as part of a remodel. I am hiring an electrician to actually do the connection for that but I am quite capable with regular circuits and such but I have never ran new circuits. I am now running new circuits to a workout room and other areas such as a bathroom. My main question is, do all the home runs have to enter the sub-panel from the top or is it okay to have a couple enter the bottom of the panel also?? The sub-panel is framed into the wall. I guess I could also drill holes in the studs on the side too if need be but I am only going to need 4-5 circuits down there.

Thanks!

Crash

Crash_Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,410

Sub-panel question

Any of the knockouts are acceptable to use.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,120

Sub-panel question

You can run the cable through any suitable size opening in the panel. Since you have never run a new circuit, you are going to want to purchase a basic wiring book, and make sure you read the safety precautions when working on a panel. There are a few things to be careful about. Since this is a subpanel, the equipment ground and the neutral must be separated, but your electrician will make sure that is the case.

There are some important NEC rules, such as no doubling up neutrals on one lug, make sure there is a proper sized clamp in each bushing you run cable through, make sure you correctly label the breakers, torque the screws in the breakers correctly, make sure the breakers match the wire size, make sure your install a GFI or arc fault circuit where required. Lots of other details, which should be explained in your wiring book which you can get at any big box store. Presumably you are getting a permit and will have your work examined, so you need to make certain you install correctly.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Sub-panel question

That was fast, thank you both for the answers. @Daniel, I do have a few electrical books and have done electrical before but like you said, there are certain things that are tricky with the subpanel so I do have an electrician that is going to help me out and make sure everything is done as correct as possible. I did pull a permit for the electrical so it will all be inspected. I expect to make a few mistakes but hopefully they end up being minor!

Right now I am just doing the runs for outlets, a new bath, and the home gym. The sub-panel hasn't been connected to the main panel yet so thankfully no danger for now. I like the idea of being able to turn the sub-panel completely off to do any circuit additions or anything like that as I go.
Crash_Davis is offline   Reply With Quote