Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #1

Share |

Sub panel question

I am trying to wire a 100 amp sub panel approximately 175 feet from 100 sub panel in my basement. I am running No.4 copper 4 conductor and have no spare neutral lug that will accept No.4 copper. In purchased a GE lug kit for the equipment ground but wasn't able to find a neutral Lug that would fit my GE Power Mark Box which is about 25 years old. The groung lug I bought clearly states for equipment ground only. One electrician I talked suggested tapping in to the neutral in the sub panel in my basement with a split connector rated for copper and aluminum. Is this legal to make a splice in a panel as if it were in a raceway ? I was also wondering if I could install another equipment ground strip with self tapping screws because I need more ground screws to get neutrals on one and equipment grounds on the other
hac487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
I=E/R

Sub panel question

You are feeding a 100 amp sub from a 100 amp sub? #4 copper is only good for 85 amps.
You can have only one neutral under a screw but you can have two grounds under one screw. Maybe you can move things around or add another ground bar but you can't use sheet metal screws to mount it.
You may want to take a closer look at that lug kit. I have one for Power Mark and it say Neutral/Ground.
Attached Thumbnails
Sub panel question-ge-lug-kit.jpg  

Last edited by a7ecorsair; 07-21-2011 at 08:33 PM.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote