DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   sub panel for me ? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/sub-panel-me-182725/)

Fix'n it 06-29-2013 08:57 AM

sub panel for me ?
 
i am building a completely new kitchen. because of the amount of new circuits i need, should i use a sub panel, instead of running all the circuits from the main ?
code says i need 6 new circuits. this seems accessive to me, as i am running just 1 right now. for all but a dishwasher. anyway....

Fix'n it 06-29-2013 09:08 AM

oh. i do have plenty of 14awg wire that i could use if i ran seperate circuits from the main. but i don't want to run more than 1 conduit in the basement. i do have enough empty slots in the main box. would 14awg be large enough for a kitchen ? (gas stove)

TarheelTerp 06-29-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fix'n it (Post 1208839)
i am building a completely new kitchen.
because of the amount of new circuits i need, should i use a sub panel, instead of running all the circuits from the main ?

a) you should already have X circuits in the kitchen (3-5);
b) you shouldn't need to add very many more; so....

1) How many new circuits EXACTLY?
2) Is there room in the main panel for them?
3) How far is the kitchen from the main panel?

Some basic reading: LINK

Fix'n it 06-29-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TarheelTerp (Post 1208847)
a) you should already have X circuits in the kitchen (3-5);
b) you shouldn't need to add very many more; so....

1) How many new circuits EXACTLY?
2) Is there room in the main panel for them?
3) How far is the kitchen from the main panel?

Some basic reading: LINK

a) old house = is what it is.
b) ALL of the old stuff(nearly all N&T) is being replaced.

1) code says about 6. i think 3-4 would be fine.
2) yes
3) 30'ish

jbfan 06-29-2013 09:34 AM

14 can not be used for the sabc.

Fix'n it 06-29-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbfan (Post 1208860)
sabc.

what is that ?

jbfan 06-29-2013 09:51 AM

The counter top receptacles, dining room, pantries.

hacksawjiw 06-29-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fix'n it

what is that ?

Smal appliance branch circuit. Basically it's the two circuits required for your countertop receptacles. They must be 20 amp circuits so you will need number 12

Fix'n it 06-29-2013 10:03 AM

2 20 amp circuits for the counter tops ? :laughing:
i'm not going to be doing any welding in there :no:

Fix'n it 06-29-2013 10:05 AM

gosh darn it. i have all this 14g, and i can't even use it :furious:

ddawg16 06-29-2013 10:10 AM

Ok....to the best of my old feeble knowledge...here is what you have to have.....

2 dedicated 20A ckts for counter top...both have to be GFCI. You can have as many outlets tied to those 2 20a ckts....but you still have to have at least 2.

1 20A for the dishwasher.

1 20A for the disposal.

1 20A for the Fridge

If you have a built in microwave....it has to have it's own 20A ckt

You can use that 14g for lights.

I was just looking at a post someone put up regarding the 2014 NEC......big thing....AFIC's basically everywhere. I guess someone needs to come up with a load center that is just one big AFCI with feeder breakers.

Speedy Petey 06-29-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fix'n it (Post 1208880)
2 20 amp circuits for the counter tops ? :laughing:
i'm not going to be doing any welding in there :no:

Me feels you are woefully ill-informed about how things electric work. Especially if you think two 20A counter top circuits is excessive or "welding worthy".

I would strongly suggest a couple of good books on home wiring BEFORE you begin this project. Otherwise I can see some costly mistakes in your future.

Speedy Petey 06-29-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddawg16 (Post 1208883)
1 20A for the dishwasher.

1 20A for the disposal.

Dw and disp can share a 20A circuit. If separate each CAN almost certainly be served with 15A.



Quote:

Originally Posted by ddawg16 (Post 1208883)
1 20A for the Fridge

If dedicated can be 15A.



Quote:

Originally Posted by ddawg16 (Post 1208883)
I was just looking at a post someone put up regarding the 2014 NEC......big thing....AFIC's basically everywhere. I guess someone needs to come up with a load center that is just one big AFCI with feeder breakers.

Most kitchen circuits DO NOT need AFCI protection. Lighting does though.

Speedy Petey 06-29-2013 10:15 AM

Oh, and a sub-panel close to the kitchen would be a good idea.

ddawg16 06-29-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedy Petey (Post 1208887)
Dw and disp can share a 20A circuit. If separate each CAN almost certainly be served with 15A.

I could have sworn there was a thread on that awhile back and everyone was saying they had to be seperate..............


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved