Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Sub Panel location - not to code?

In the first picture, you will see that there is a light fixture slightly above and slightly to the right of the panel. The light fixture is less than 15 inches away from the center point of the panel. The light fixture is also less than 6.5 feet from the floor.

In the second image below, you will see a tape measure laid out on the floor. From the wall on the left top where the slanted wall on the right starts, it is roughly 31.5 inches. This sub panel is located in an unfinished space above the master bed and the slanted area you see is the trey ceiling.

For picture number 1, the light fixture is an an area that should not have anything in it correct?

For picture number 2, this is not to code is it? Doesn't there need to be 36 inches of open space away from the wall?
Attached Thumbnails
Sub Panel location - not to code?-img_5795.jpg   Sub Panel location - not to code?-img_5797.jpg  

stickner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
Mad Scientist

Rewards Points: 510

The light fixture is fine, since the required working space does not have to be centered in front of the panel. But the depth from the wall definitely looks like a problem to me.

McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 676

It also doesn't look like there's sufficient space in front of the panel to stand when you open the door is of falling backward onto the tray ceiling protrusion! Some measurements of that would be interesting to see. I'd take it from the other information you have provided in your thread about your HVAC problems this is a sub panel off the main one in your basement? If it is you should probably check, or have someone check to ensure that the ground and neutrals are separated and not combined in this panel.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #4
Mad Scientist

Rewards Points: 510

That's what he's showing with the second picture, it looks like he's only got 30 inches from the front of the panel. I know if I were working on that panel it would only be a matter of time before I got distracted and stepped through the ceiling...
McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSteve View Post
That's what he's showing with the second picture, it looks like he's only got 30 inches from the front of the panel. I know if I were working on that panel it would only be a matter of time before I got distracted and stepped through the ceiling...
Or fell through it butt first! A measurement from the wall to that obstruction would be interesting to see if it meets the requirements, which I don't think it does.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,008

I would build a small bench (seat) type arrangement to sit on while working in the panel. It would be very easy to do and besides, how often are you in a panel after its installed? This would be of zero concern to me.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J. V. For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (01-25-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 12:19 PM   #7
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,472

While it is a code workspace violation, I think I would be more concerned about what appears to be an uninsulated tray chamfer.
Speedy Petey (01-24-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
While it is a code workspace violation, I think I would be more concerned about what appears to be an uninsulated tray chamfer.
I notice that too, I guess I discounted it because I couldn't see how it would pass inspection without being insulated but then again......

Last edited by Msradell; 01-24-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:00 PM   #9
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

The bare bulb luminaire above the breaker panel that genrally not a major issue unless it is mounted pretty low..

The only major item you will have to be aware is the ceiling tray and working space that is pretty tight.

Is that space is unheated or what ?

Merci,
Marc
Old 01-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #10
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,108

I don't think anything but the most hard a**ed inspector would give you a hard time about that 4-1/2" intrusion of that slanted green spot.
I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #11
" Euro " electrician

Pete.,

If you have time just click that link

http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/major...130907/index5/

It will be on page 5 halfway down that poster did took a photo of main panel see what ya think and I did catch the youtube he show in that part and I found few code voliations allready.

Merci,
Marc
Old 01-24-2012, 09:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
I don't think anything but the most hard a**ed inspector would give you a hard time about that 4-1/2" intrusion of that slanted green spot.
I wouldn't worry about it.
That may be the case. We just sold a house in another state, and the home inspector pointed out an issue with the location of a panel. We had the choice of moving it or giving them a credit. We gave them a credit.

I don't ever want to have to deal with that again.

I appreciate that it is not that big of a deal, but why not just do it right and follow the code the way it is supposed to be done?

And it just begs the question, if 30 inches is "enough" clearance, than how about 29"? 28"? 27"? 26"? etc....
Old 01-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
Pete.,

If you have time just click that link

http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/major...130907/index5/

It will be on page 5 halfway down that poster did took a photo of main panel see what ya think and I did catch the youtube he show in that part and I found few code voliations allready.

Merci,
Marc
And if you want to see what our roof looks like, check this link out:

Wavy roof! Need opinions/advice

This is just so much fun....
Old 01-24-2012, 09:51 PM   #14
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickner View Post
And if you want to see what our roof looks like, check this link out:

Wavy roof! Need opinions/advice

This is just so much fun....
I am not going to comment about the roof those guys in that section did give ya a good answer to find it.

However I did found a nice picture what you posted and I can see the NM cable is NOT even stapled to the stud.,,

If that picture show like that I am not really suprised that you can find more around the house and your youtube pic did show me the answer right there.

Merci,
Marc
Old 01-24-2012, 09:57 PM   #15
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,108

Quote:

I appreciate that it is not that big of a deal, but why not just do it right and follow the code the way it is supposed to be done?
Only you can answer this. Where else could they have put it?
How about you lose the tray ceiling? Or sacrifice 5" of the tray to make that panel "legal"?

Quote:
And it just begs the question, if 30 inches is "enough" clearance, than how about 29"? 28"? 27"? 26"? etc....
My only point was that we are talking about a measly triangle less than 5x6x5 inches, right at the floor.
If this were a complete wall that was 5" too close I might not be so cavalier.

The Following User Says Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
J. V. (01-25-2012)