Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sub panel load and advice

Hey there, I've stalking these forums for a bit and love the great advice!

I am planning on finishing my basement here and was hoping to get some input on my plans for adding a sub panel in the basement. This is all based on advice I've seen here, if I got it right!

I'll need to run it about 20' from main panel in garage, into basement via rim joist. Planning in schedule 80 PVC conduit.

The basement panel will have...

Full kitchen (dishwasher, fridge, electric range, microwave, etc)
Washer dryer
Separate home theater equipment circuit
Theater room
Play room
Bedroom
Kitchen / dining room

The bathroom, sump and fire alarms are already on the existing panel.

I was looking at a 60 amp main lug for the sub panel with 6# wire from main, but now I'm wondering if I should go 100amp with 4# and have plenty of capacity.

I want to do it right and my town actually doesn't require permits or inspection as the permit included this as living space when he house was built a couple years ago.

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated!

TimMauriello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

60 Amp might be pushing it a bit with all that kitchen and laundry room stuff. All electric??

If you decide to go with a #4 feeder cable (copper), you are limited to 85 Amps, since this is not an entire service feeding a single dwelling.

If you want a full 100 Amp capacity, you'll need at least #3 copper wires for the hots, but you can reduce the neutral to a #4, with a #8 ground.

Will there be a water heater, or any HVAC connected to this sub-panel?

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky
60 Amp might be pushing it a bit with all that kitchen and laundry room stuff. All electric??

If you decide to go with a #4 feeder cable (copper), you are limited to 85 Amps, since this is not an entire service feeding a single dwelling.

If you want a full 100 Amp capacity, you'll need at least #3 copper wires for the hots, but you can reduce the neutral to a #4, with a #8 ground.

Will there be a water heater, or any HVAC connected to this sub-panel?
I would much rather go with extra capacity and do it right here the first time, so I'll definitely change plans to 100 amp and the #3 wire.

Yeah, it's all electric appliances, but no additional water heater or hvac needed.
TimMauriello is offline   Reply With Quote