Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #1

Share |

Sub Panel Install from 100 amp service

Good Morning! I'm new to this forum and have searched many posts relating to sub panel installs. However, I'm thinking I'd feel more comfortable having some input on my specific situation.

Here is what I have and what I'm trying to accomplish.

I have 2000 Manufactured home. Recently I lifted my entire house 9 feet off the ground and installed a basement. I am in the process of building the stair structure to my new basement and I am installing a laundry room / utility room in the new basement.

I have 200 amp service coming into my property. At the meter i have a panel that sends 50 amps to my pole building and 50 amps to a recording studio in a separate building. This leaves 100 amps to my house. This is what the home was set up for.

Last week I was able to eliminate my electric hot water heater and switch to natural gas. Also, I will be eliminating my electric dryer and switching that to natural gas also. My stove is already natural gas. So, this is hopefully leaving me some room in my panel for a small sub panel for the basement.

my question.

Can I simply feed the new smaller panel off one of those breakers? I have a 30 amp and 25 amp that I am no longer using because of all the natural gas I am now using?

I have purchased a small square D box for the basement and have purchased some pretty heavy duty wire. Here is the wire info from what I can read. Romex(r) AWG 6 CU 3 CDR with AWG 10 Ground Type NM 600 volts. Basically a 4 wire - white, black, red and ground and each of the white, Black and red wires are multi strand with 6 strands in each.

The total run length will be about 15 feet from the main box.

I'd like to run from a 25 amp breaker that was used for my water heater straight to the sub panel.

HOw does all this sound?

Thanks in advance for the input and hopefully I've included enough information.

neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Since you have that sized wire, replace one of the breakers with a 60 amp breaker, then follow the guidelines for the sub.

Last edited by jbfan; 02-13-2012 at 10:34 AM. Reason: spelling
jbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbfan For This Useful Post:
neill (02-13-2012)
Old 02-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #3

Then I am able to the wire the sub as I would be wiring the main and add the breakers? Or, should I wire to another breaker in the sub panel?

Appreciate your quick response....
Old 02-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
Licensed electrician

A subpanel in the same building will not need a main breaker. You can have it if you want it.
neill (02-13-2012)
Old 02-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by neill View Post
I have 200 amp service coming into my property. At the meter i have a panel that sends 50 amps to my pole building and 50 amps to a recording studio in a separate building. This leaves 100 amps to my house. This is what the home was set up for.
I want to point out something that may help you understand building up your new sub. You could actually wire up a 200 amp service to as many structures as you wish as long as the load calculations are considered.
zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #6

perfect. Thank you!
Old 02-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #7

I understand. And, as of right now, I am running nothing that is 220 from my pole barn or studio. My house - currently only a dryer. So, really the difference between 100 amp service and 200 amp service is the size of the panel?

Currently, the service that enters my house is hooked to a 100 amp breaker called "main disconnect". The meter is actually on a pole. The pole is where I put a panel that spits the amps. I hired a contractor to install that panel as I was a little nervous about pulling that meter out to make the connections. Later, as I was raising my home for the basement, I had to disconnect the main using the meter due to the fact the wire running to the panel was no longer long enough and had to install new cable so the block work could be finished. This I did myself. - 11pm at night, flashlight in hand, wife with a 2X4 to knock me off had something went wrong and 911 dialed into the cell phone ready to push "send"

I installed the panels in the pole building and studio building with no problems at all.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by neill View Post
So, really the difference between 100 amp service and 200 amp service is the size of the panel? The wire has to be sized for 200 amps also.

This I did myself. - 11pm at night, flashlight in hand, wife with a 2X4 to knock me off had something went wrong and 911 dialed into the cell phone ready to push "send" You shouldn't have done this.
-----
Old 02-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappa View Post
-----
haha. Yeah, I know.. my wife agrees whole heartedly.

Here is the wire I ran from the meter to my panel in the house. Can you tell from these numbers if its sized to handle 200 amps?

3 CDR AWG 4 Compact AL ALUMAFLEX TYPE SE cable XHHW-2 CDR X 600 Volts
Old 02-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #10

Homie normally don't do wire sizes but I can tell you no in this case. 4/0 al seems to be the buzz number for 200 amps.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #11
Licensed electrician

Number 4 is not good for 200 amps.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #12
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

#4 Wire will not even work for the 100 amps to the home and it has to be four wire to the home because the home's panel is actually a sub panel.
rrolleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #13

Correct, the house is technically a sub panel from the main. The wire from the meter to the 100 amp service into the house has 4 wires. Red & Black, Black, White & Black and ground. Each wire is at least 1/4 inch thick, aluminum and has what looks to be about 7-8 strands in each. Also, the wire is wrapped in gray sheathing and is almost 1" thick all together.

Does that seem right?

Thanks again for all the replies! This is a great help!
Neill
Old 02-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #14
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

#4 AL Is nowhere near large enough for 100 amps.
rrolleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #15

What size would be correct for my application? Also, would copper be better? Seems the aluminum wire is barely fitting into the lugs of the breaker as is.

Last edited by neill; 02-13-2012 at 07:18 PM.