Sub Panel Guidance - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

sub panel guidance

i decided to post these questions under a new topic since they dont pertain to my original question...i recently had my electrical service upgraded and due to a continued lack of breaker positions i plan on using my old smaller breaker box as a subpanel. i will use a 40 or 50 amp 2 pole breaker in the new box to feed the subpanel. pls refer to my pictures of the subpanel. i dont appear to have the lugs on the top of the panel to bring my feed wires to. should i just put my two hot wires to the left side of the 100 amp double pole breaker , making that be my main? also it is suggested i bring The ground (bare) wire to the ground bus. i dont appear to have a seperate ground bus in this panel ,can i hook the bare wire to the neutral bus bar with the white wire or should a i buy a ground bar and install it for the bare wire?
Attached Images

Advertisement

pberm1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

sub panel guidance

Quote:
Originally Posted by pberm1962 View Post
should i just put my two hot wires to the left side of the 100 amp double pole breaker , making that be my main?
Yes It will be treated as a disconnect
also it is suggested i bring The ground (bare) wire to the ground bus. i dont appear to have a seperate ground bus in this panel ,can i hook the bare wire to the neutral bus bar with the white wire NO or should a i buy a ground bar and install it for the bare wire?
You will need a separate ground bus. This bus will be fastened to the panel case and you will have to remove any bonding that is present between the neutral bar and the case.
I added answer above
Wait, I went back and looked at the pictures. Do I see two bars at the bottom of the panel?

Advertisement

a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,360

sub panel guidance

You can back feed the 100 amp breaker and it will serve as a disconnect. That will require a hold down kit for the 100 amp breaker.

40 amp breaker in the main panel will need 8/3 cable to the sub, 50 amp will require 6/3 (I would go 50 amp with 6/3).

You will need to add a separate ground bar ion the sub and separate the grounds and neutrals.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,152

sub panel guidance

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
You can back feed the 100 amp breaker and it will serve as a disconnect. That will require a hold down kit for the 100 amp breaker.
That is an original main breaker panel. The breaker will already have a hold down.
Speedy Petey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,782

sub panel guidance

That 100 was a main and probably does not need the hold down. It is not being backfeed. It was the design that style used.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:34 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

sub panel guidance

a7 yes there are two bars at the bottom of the panel but they are both connected to the neutral bar. i see that i will have to add a seperate ground bar and seperate the ground and neutral wires... a7ecorsair.... you mentioned that i will have to remove any bonding that is present between the neutral bar and the case. how do i go about that?

Advertisement

pberm1962 is offline   Reply With Quote