Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2009, 05:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Sub-Panel Grounding Question

I have a couple of questions concerning the groungind of the Main Panel in the house.
The house in a new modular on a basement. We have a meter pole 30-40 feet from the house with a meter/disconnect combo box on it supplied by the POCO. It is bonded & has the ground wire attached to the pole.
The house is fed via a 4 wire(HHNG). Ground & Neutrals in house panel
are separated & the panel is not bonded.
In the basement there is a Ufer ground rod. Are there any advantages or disadvantages in running another ground wire from the sub-panel to the Ufer ground?
Also, the gas in the house is supplied via an underground poly line with metal risers on each end. The end coming out of the ground by the house has 3-4 feet of metal in the soil. After it comes out the ground, it is black pipe into the house & to all gas appliances. Does this gas pipe need to be ground?
If so, can it be tied directly into the Ufer ground or does it need to be tied in at the main panel in the house.

xyz1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz1945 View Post
I have a couple of questions concerning the groungind of the Main Panel in the house.
The house in a new modular on a basement. We have a meter pole 30-40 feet from the house with a meter/disconnect combo box on it supplied by the POCO. It is bonded & has the ground wire attached to the pole.
The house is fed via a 4 wire(HHNG). Ground & Neutrals in house panel
are separated & the panel is not bonded.
In the basement there is a Ufer ground rod. Are there any advantages or disadvantages in running another ground wire from the sub-panel to the Ufer ground?
Also, the gas in the house is supplied via an underground poly line with metal risers on each end. The end coming out of the ground by the house has 3-4 feet of metal in the soil. After it comes out the ground, it is black pipe into the house & to all gas appliances. Does this gas pipe need to be ground?
If so, can it be tied directly into the Ufer ground or does it need to be tied in at the main panel in the house.
Where does the Ufer ground go now? It would ideally bond at the main, but it isn't a problem to be bonded to ground at the panel inside the home. It needs to be bonded somewhere. And yes, the gas line needs to be grounded. It is usually considered bonded by the appliances it is connected to. But I don't think that's a very sound decision. A jumper from your Ufer with a split bolt to the gas line.

InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:44 PM   #3

The Ufer in the basement is not grounded to anything yet since the service was just hooked up and is not currently on. Since the main disconnect was outside away from the house, it would be difficult to bond the Ufer back to the main disconnect. As long as it is not unsafe or against code to run a ground from the panel in the house to the Ufer, I will do it. I will run a jumper from the gas line to the Ufer.
Thanks.
xyz1945 is offline   Reply With Quote