Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2011, 10:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sub panel to a garage

I have a buddy who is trying to run a 50a sub for a garage in VA. He already has a 150a panel that is full. He told me about a "Power pack" that they used to have in Fla. that let them tap into to meter prior to going into the house. this way he doesn't have to upgrade his 150a panel. I don't think this is per code and suggested an upgrade to 200a. Of course he's trying to save money but I don't think you can do this. Any suggestions? or is an upgrade to 200a his only option?
Thanks in advance.

kramerj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:26 AM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sub panel to a garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramerj21 View Post
I have a buddy who is trying to run a 50a sub for a garage in VA. He already has a 150a panel that is full. He told me about a "Power pack" that they used to have in Fla. that let them tap into to meter prior to going into the house. this way he doesn't have to upgrade his 150a panel. I don't think this is per code and suggested an upgrade to 200a. Of course he's trying to save money but I don't think you can do this. Any suggestions? or is an upgrade to 200a his only option?
Thanks in advance.
There is not much option on that set up espcally with power pack item due they key issue is the meter socket lug rating and the other thing is OCPD rating with tap rules they are very strict with it.

Only other option is run full 200 amp which means you have to replace the conductor what they are allready sized for 150 amp you have to increase to 200 amp conductor size { typically 4/0 AL or 3/0 Copper unless the local code say something different and type of conductor you will be using that will affect a bit }

I think few other members may chime in here with few more details.

Merci.
Marc

Old 02-16-2011, 07:38 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Sub panel to a garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramerj21 View Post
Thanks in advance.

Just because a panel is physically full doesn't mean the load is actually that high. Does he really need 200A? It's not like the garage will be a load of 50A at all times. If he's anything like me...he wants to run 50A out there, knowing very well that he won't need all of it
DetroitEE is offline   Reply With Quote