Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2007, 08:59 AM   #1

Share |

sub panel connection

I am just completing a large remodel and have added 2 bathrooms, 2 bedrooms, and a space for a washer and dryer upstairs. Instead of running all the wires two stories down to the basement where the main panel is, I installed a 100 amp subpanel in the new upstairs. The sub panel has a main breaker. I have three questions. Do I run a ground wire from the sub panel all the way down to the main service panel ground connection (that is, the re-bar extending out of the new foundation wall next to the service panel)? What wire do I use to connect the service and sub panels, and, this is a separate question....................how many outlets should be installed in a typical bedroom. Thanks
Mike

rtyui2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:16 AM   #2
Licensed Pro

sub panel connection

The subpanel should be fed by 4 wires: 2 hot, 1 neutral, 1 ground. It is not necessary to provide a 100A feed just because it is a 100A panel, in your case a 60A feed would be sufficient. You could then use 6/3 w/G cable to feed the subpanel.
The number of receptacles (I assume that is what you mean be outlets) in a bedroom is up to you, as long as you meet the minimum requirements of no point in any wall space being more than 6' from a receptacle and a receptacle in any wall space 2' or more in width.
And AFCI protection of the bedroom receptacles AND lights AND smoke detectors (unless local amendments except these).

EDIT to add: In most bedrooms I do, I have a minimum of 7 receptacles. Some master BRs may have twice that. I also try to work with the owner to determine bed placement so there is not a receptacle directly behind the bed.

Last edited by HouseHelper; 11-28-2007 at 09:28 AM.
HouseHelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:18 AM   #3

sub panel connection

Mike, there is another thread abuot a 100 amp sub panel from yesterday that may or may not help you, just scroll down the electrical section and you will see it. As far as the outlets it's not the number but the placement that determins how many you end up with. I believe(hopefully someone will be along to confirm or correct this) It's one outlet within six feet or an opening(door or closet door) and 12 feet inbetween the next ones. So measure six feet from your door and you need one within that six ft, that is the max, then measure 12 ft from that outlet and you need one within that twelve ft.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:57 AM   #4

sub panel connection

HouseHelper is correct. But make sure you do not connect the neutrals and grounds (EGC's) together in the sub panel. They must be seperated. If this is a new panel, you most likely have two terminal strips running vertically along the inside of the sub panel. There may be a bar that connects both terminal strips. Remove the bar and use one strip neutrals and the other for the grounds.
I agree you do not need a 100 amp panel for this application.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:15 PM   #5

sub panel connection

thanks for the help
rtyui2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:29 PM   #6
UAW SKILLED TRADES

sub panel connection

To clarify one of your questions...... You asked if you run a ground wire down to the rebar (ufer electrode). No you do not. You only do this from your main panel.

As for removing the bonding strap between neutral bars... this by itself will not make one bar a ground bar. And in some this strap is not removable, and you must use a ground bar kit.....so use caution. In all split neutrals both bars are on insulated standoffs.

When you remove that strap you must be sure that you have the bar you want as the ground bar...which will be the one the service neutral isn't connected to... bonded to the metal of the panel. You do this with a bonding jumper like this.....also if a bonding jumper or bonding means is installed on the same bar as the service neutral you must remove it.

Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:24 PM   #7
Electrician

sub panel connection

Name:  Wall Spacing.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  11.1 KB

Here is what is required...

chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote