Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2013, 10:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Question

sub panel changes

hello everyone.like the name says im a welder not an electrician!,but i do have some knowlegde and some experience from a 2 year carpentry program in high school(17yrs ago).heres my issues and questions.my main panel in my house is a square d type 200amp.in that panel,a 60 amp breaker supplies power to a stove(but no longer in use),a sub panel in my bedroom, and i suspect from there to a sub in the detatched garage.the bedroom is an addition but not by me.the sub in the bedroom has 3 15 amp breakers, and 1 40 amp breaker which i think sends power to the garage.the feed into the garage is romex 10-3wground.the box has a 100 amp main but the power coming in goes to a 50 amp breaker on the upper left.there are 2-15 amp breakers for some light swithches, a 20 ampdual pole for 6 receptacles,and a 240volt 30 amp(on 12-3) that was for an old compressor.my questions are as follows.1-i have a mig welder that needs 240vvolts,20amps.can i use the 12-3 as 240 volt line or should it be 10-3,and if the welder only requires a 20 amp breaker,would 30 be way too much. 2,if 10-3 feeds the garage does that mean only 30amps availible?

imawelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

sub panel changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by imawelder View Post
1-i have a mig welder that needs 240vvolts,20amps.can i use the 12-3 as 240 volt line or should it be 10-3,and if the welder only requires a 20 amp breaker,would 30 be way too much.
For 240, you need only 2-wires, so 12-2. 20amps sounds awfully small though. Check the metal plate on the welder, copy all the info, and post it, please.

Quote:
2,if 10-3 feeds the garage does that mean only 30amps available?
It means that the breaker should be a 30amps to protect the 10-3 wire. If there's a 40a breaker on #10, the breaker needs to be changed to 30a.

This whole systems sounds messed up to me. How 'bout posting some pics, or diagrams, showing what's going where. Show us Feeders in, and branch circuits out on any diagram.

Also, a feeder from one or more subpanels to the garage? Messed up!

Old 06-29-2013, 11:19 PM   #3

sub panel changes

yup,ony 20 amps for the welder.its a power inverter type,not a rectifier type like those lincoln red barn stick welders.not sure about the 40 amp breaker in the sub panel in the bedroom feeding the garage,but it wouldnt suprise me given what ive seen so far here!and because of location it would be easiest to run the feed to the garage from there.(not even 50 feet).ill know more about all that in a few days but for now im definately going to replace the 50 amp main in my garage to a 30 amp breaker since its fed by 10-3.thanks for your quik reply.i dont have the welder here iether.its a lincoln 180amp mig but the specs at thiere site say 20 amps

Last edited by imawelder; 06-29-2013 at 11:22 PM. Reason: misspell
Old 06-29-2013, 11:29 PM   #4

sub panel changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by imawelder View Post
my main panel in my house is a square d type 200amp.in that panel,a 60 amp breaker supplies power to a stove(but no longer in use),a sub panel in my bedroom, and i suspect from there to a sub in the detatched garage.
A 60a breaker from the Main is supplying power to a receptacle, and from that receptacle, a subpanel in your bedroom is fed????????? And from there, to a sub out in the garage?????????????????????????????????????

Me thinks a lot of 'spectin' is called fer!

Quote:
the sub in the bedroom has 3 15 amp breakers, and 1 40 amp breaker which i think sends power to the garage.
Is it me, or is this contradictory to the first quote, above?
Old 06-30-2013, 12:13 AM   #5

sub panel changes

as crazy as it sounds,yes!.well i could be mistaken about the sub panel in the bedroom feeding the garage however,the 60 amp in the main supplies power to the old stove,my bedroom and the garage.i know this because,well,i kicked the 60 amp off in the main and no power in bedroom or garage!.tomm ill be in the main panel box and will know more but this is what i know as of now.also tomm i will be putting my dryer on a 30 amp instead of the 25 its on now and change a couple other things.as it was the dryer and 3 receptacles are all running off 1 25 amp breaker in the main box!.i have a breaker with the 2 small 20 amp on/off switches and will use that for the 3 receptacles that used to run with the dryer.and yes the dryer feed is 10-3 romex
Old 06-30-2013, 12:21 AM   #6

sub panel changes

and did you know you can run a small lincoln 6010rod of from 2 car batteris(or more) run paralell.23-25 volts and 100 amps will get your broken 4 wheeler frame back together!!
Old 07-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #7

sub panel changes

my dryer and fridge are now on thier own circuit,and the 240 for the stove removed.now im going through the sub panel in my bedroom closet and heres what i know so far.60 amp breaker feeds to bedroom sub panel through 12 gauge wire.sub panel has 4 -15 amp breakers for a couple receptacles and a cieling light/fan.theres a 40 amp breaker and 10 3 which leaves the sub panel and feeds the garage.panel in garage has a 50 amp main,2 15amp breakers for some receptacles,and a 30 amp circuit for an air compressor.what im figuring is that im only sending 20 amps from main panel box to the bedroom and garage since the wire feeding all of it is only rated for 20 amps,right?or am i sending 60 amps bcause of the 60 amp breaker and if so im pretty sure thats not the coded way,but im not an electrician.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,196

sub panel changes

I think it might be time to call someone to straighten this out. There is so much wrong. I don't know how you are running those loads with #12 and have not had a fire.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #9

sub panel changes

thats my concern.the loads in the bedroom are never more then a coupl of lights,and the garage a couple lights and some small tools like grinders or a fan.the big load comes from my wire feeder and its a small lincoln 110volt machine.pulls 15 amps at most.its popped the breaker in the garage a couple tmes when all the lights were on but its never pooped the 40 in the bedroom panel or the 60 its all fed from in the main panel box.id like to have the garage all redone.would like at least 50 amps feeding because i have some bigger tools and welders.where should i start,and thanks for the reply so quik!
Old 07-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,188

sub panel changes

yep this sounds like a fire waiting to happen ..get it inspected to see where you really stand for safety...ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #11

sub panel changes

it just was last september!..its been this way for a while.the garage is newer but still been wired up for 10 plus yrs.if only a fan going in bedroom and a couple light in garage at once it should be ok like that right?..the welding and other tools used during the daytime and no lights.can i just run a 6-3 from the 60 amp breaker to the garage and run the couple receptacles in the bedroom off another couple breakers that already have just lights on them and eliminate the sub panel in the closet?.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:56 PM   #12

sub panel changes

I don't think I'd touch anything in there, even if I was being paid, without an inspection. What you're describing is total chaos.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #13

sub panel changes

heres another question.since power leaves through a 60 amp breaker does that mean 60 amps is availible even though the wire is #12 which i know is 20 amp wire.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #14
Electrical Enthusiast

sub panel changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by imawelder
heres another question.since power leaves through a 60 amp breaker does that mean 60 amps is availible even though the wire is #12 which i know is 20 amp wire.
The breaker will allow for sixty amps, yes. But if you've got 12/2 it needs to be a 20 amp breaker.
Kyle_in_rure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #15

sub panel changes

i have a tandem 20 amp breaker but thats only good for 120volts each leg.right now its sending 240 volts to the subpanel and so ill replace the 60 with a dual pole 20 amp,black and white as hot and it should be fine.right?.soon a seperat line to the garage will be added on its own 50 or 60 amp breaker and ill be set there.just need to figure out what to do about the subpanel in the closet.think i might eliminate it altogether and tie into existing circuits since all i need is a couple lights and a tv