DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   Sub Panel Amperage (

houstonbrama 08-17-2008 12:23 AM

Sub Panel Amperage
I'm running a sub panel to my shop. It is a double pole 50 amp breaker at the house. Does my sub panel in the shop have to be 50 amps or less or can I install say a 70-100 amp sub panel and just not max it out?

Speedy Petey 08-17-2008 07:59 AM

The 50 in the house is your overcurrent protection. The larger breaker in the sub-panel is just a disconnect.
You are fine.

SD515 08-17-2008 09:22 AM

The sub-panel itself you are installing in your shop would have to be rated for at least the ampereage that it's being protected the scenario you describe, it would have to be rated at least 50 amps. It can be rated for more, but not less. Any breaker used in the sub-panel that is larger in amperage then the feeder overcurrent protection (the 50 A in the house) is going to act as a disconnect. Any breaker less in size will act as an overcurrent device.

houstonbrama 08-17-2008 09:57 AM

Excellent. Thanks for info guys!!

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 PM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.