Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2008, 10:55 PM   #1
Master Of Nothing

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Smile

Sub Panel

i want to know about installing my ground at my svc panel. I am running out of this to a small shop to a 100amp sub. I understand about the gnd and neutrals being separated and such at the sub etc. and I think I got that covered. Its all coming out of this feed thru on the side of my modular home.

What I am wondering is this: As you can see from the pic of my main FEED through panel, on the lower right hand side I have a small 2 wire buss w/ green (to house) and bare (to gnd electrode). Is this where my equipment ground out to the shop will be connected off my feeder? Or will it go on the neutral/gnd buss on the right in the pic. I bought another ground buss that will hold more wires THINKING that I will need to pull the 2 wire buss, and install this larger one in its place. And then connect the green and bare wire to it along with my feeder equipment gnd out to my shop.

For feeder I am using 2-2-4-6 direct burial for a run of about 40 ft.

Am I correct on this or am i way off in left field????
Attached Thumbnails
Sub Panel-main1.jpg  

mr500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:39 PM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Sub Panel

I hate to be rude in here but you going have to stop right there because i did see the photo you have at least 3 code voliations there

1] the middle breaker on the right side you have one leg [ white ] used for 240 volt circuit it have to be remarked with marker or tape

2] on bottom right breaker this is very cirictal what wire is that ??

IF that is romex wire ? look closer if you got all three wire bundle it this is very dangerous .

3] illegal parallel connection on romex wires which it is very speficied in the code

One of our freind { Stubbie} in this forum he have very good picture how it should be properly hook up with subpanel i think he will chime in soon.

and i really advise you that indeed get the voliations corrected before you go on with your project.

Merci, Marc

Last edited by frenchelectrican; 03-07-2008 at 11:41 PM.
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:50 PM   #3
Master Of Nothing

Sub Panel

the white wire in question is going down into a well pump. That one is coming out of the panel that you see. Im not sure what wire u are asking about in ??#2. the bottom breaker is the AC outside unit. I did not wire this into the panel.

what wire is "illegal parallel connection on romex wires which it is very speficied in the code". No wires are bundled up. There all separate going to either the breakers, or the neutral buss
Old 03-07-2008, 11:57 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Sub Panel

Sub Panel-main1.jpg

Look at the 30 amp breaker and that wire if new one that wire is #14's that is bundled together in one screw that is completly illegal and not even safe this way. did the HVAC guy did that or moduar home guys did that ??

Merci, Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:54 AM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 54

Sub Panel

Install a secondary ground bar in this panel and move all your grounds there, just for a cleaner look and to make room on the neutral bar.
Then you can land all your neutral on the neutral bar.

Just so you know, since this is the main panel the grounds can go on either bar. The neutrals MUST land on the neutral bar, they cannot land on an add-on ground bar.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:21 AM   #6
When is fishing season?

Sub Panel

Mr500, can you take a close up pic of the bottom breaker where the wires attach to the breaker? I'm sure it would help these guys figure this out a bit easier.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:48 PM   #7
Master Of Nothing

Cool

Sub Panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post

Look at the 30 amp breaker and that wire if new one that wire is #14's that is bundled together in one screw that is completly illegal and not even safe this way. did the HVAC guy did that or moduar home guys did that ??

Merci, Marc
NO it is NOT bundled together. looks that way maybe in the pic, but they are all going to separate lugs on the neutral bar and the breaker.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:55 PM   #8
Master Of Nothing

Talking

Sub Panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
Install a secondary ground bar in this panel and move all your grounds there, just for a cleaner look and to make room on the neutral bar.
Then you can land all your neutral on the neutral bar.

Just so you know, since this is the main panel the grounds can go on either bar. The neutrals MUST land on the neutral bar, they cannot land on an add-on ground bar.
THANK YOU!. Just so I am straight on this, I have a choice of installing a new gnd buss, OR I can just go into the neutral buss with my feeder to my shed. Since I already bought the gnd bar, might as well screw it in the panel and put all 3 grounds on it. This way will keep my grounds and neutral separate here as I do in the shed!!That is what I had planned to do all along. I just wanted some more input on the situation!! Thanks so Much!!Mike
Old 03-08-2008, 05:44 PM   #9
When is fishing season?

Sub Panel

Mr500, not trying to be pushy, but I have to agree that it looks like the bottom 30AMP breaker has 2 sets of 14/2 romex going to them. in any case, that is a violation and a MAJOR safety issue.

A 30AMP breaker does NOT protect 15AMPS per breaker.

Honestly, it looks like all 3 wires from it are hooked to each breaker.

Even if it is only the hot in each (for whatever reason), 14AWG wire MUST be protected at a MAX of 15AMPS.

You really should investigate this further and fins out what exactly is happening there.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:50 PM   #10
Master Of Nothing

Sub Panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyAndy View Post
Mr500, not trying to be pushy, but I have to agree that it looks like the bottom 30AMP breaker has 2 sets of 14/2 romex going to them. in any case, that is a violation and a MAJOR safety issue.

Even if it is only the hot in each (for whatever reason), 14AWG wire MUST be protected at a MAX of 15AMPS.

You really should investigate this further and fins out what exactly is happening there.
for the 3rd time. the wires are ALL separate. trust me on this one. i think the wires look thicker in the pic, but i assure you they are ALL SEPARATE with 2 going to the breaker, and one going to the neutral bar. I have been in this box many times and I assure you it is NOT doubled up as you guys are saying. I know a 30 amps dont protect 15 per breaker. Like I said all the wires are separate. have been the 5 yrs i have lived here.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:50 PM   #11
Electrician

Sub Panel

Quote:

He said it went to a well, so it could possible be UF that was not completely stripped, As far as the breaker size, without knowing the pump and the size of the UF its too hard to say if the breaker is a violation or not...

actually I thing it goes to the AC unit... either ways its probably good to go.

Last edited by chris75; 03-08-2008 at 05:54 PM.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:56 PM   #12
Master Of Nothing

Wink

Sub Panel

Also that is a 30 amp AC unit breaker. Those are not 14/2. If i remember it is #8 or #10. #10 I assume would be the better bet with a 30amp load on that AC unit.

However, it IS 14/2 at the 20amp well pump breaker. On the top
Old 03-08-2008, 05:56 PM   #13
Electrician

Sub Panel

Quote:

You cant always say that, you could easily have a 30amp breaker on a 14 AWG wire suppling a AC unit...
Old 03-08-2008, 05:59 PM   #14
Electrician

Sub Panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr500 View Post
Also that is a 30 amp AC unit breaker. Those are not 14/2. If i remember it is #8 or #10. #10 I assume would be the better bet with a 30amp load on that AC unit.

However, it IS 14/2 at the 20amp well pump breaker. On the top
Its probably fine, the well pump most likely has its own thermal protection.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:59 PM   #15
Master Of Nothing

Sub Panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
He said it went to a well, so it could possible be UF that was not completely stripped, As far as the breaker size, without knowing the pump and the size of the UF its too hard to say if the breaker is a violation or not...

actually I thing it goes to the AC unit... either ways its probably good to go.
The well pump is submersed. The breaker is the one tht the pump guy sold me when I bought the pump. I put it in myself and I know it looks like crap BUT I was needing water lol and I have yet to go back and fix it. That breaker will be pulled for the new 100 amp one and re-installed in my main house panel.