Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2011, 08:09 PM   #1

Share |

sub panel

I have a 100 amp sub panel in my detached shop putting in a ingound pool with heat pump this requires a 60 amp sub panel can i run another sup panel to the pool or do i need to go into main panel in house thats a 200 amp panel,thanks al.
VINGOEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #2

sub panel

Can't you run a 60 amp circuit from either the garage panel or the main panel? Must you have a sub-panel at the pool location? Does the pool require more than just one circuit?
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Missouri Bound For This Useful Post:
VINGOEA (08-09-2011)
Old 08-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
Electrician

sub panel

You can, but if you use a lot of power at the shop, I’d consider running it back to the main.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SD515 For This Useful Post:
VINGOEA (08-09-2011)
Old 08-07-2011, 09:22 PM   #4

sub panel

Yes you can run a sub panel as long as the total load doesn't exceed the continuise load rules. 80%
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bobelectric For This Useful Post:
VINGOEA (08-09-2011)
Old 08-07-2011, 10:36 PM   #5
Lic Electrical Inspector

sub panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINGOEA
I have a 100 amp sub panel in my detached shop putting in a ingound pool with heat pump this requires a 60 amp sub panel can i run another sup panel to the pool or do i need to go into main panel in house thats a 200 amp panel,thanks al.
Now I'm no expert but, I have several concerns. What is the calculated load for the existing subpanel? What size are the existing feeders to the existing subpanel. Is the existing subpanel feed with an insulated ground through conduit the entire run. Does the existing feeder contain a srperate neutral? What is the calculated load for the future subpanel? Does the future subpanel contain motors? Once this information is known it can be determined if you can add the new subpanel to the existing subpanel or if you need to install a net feeder for the pool from the existing service. Feeders are sized at 100% of the calculated load.
. All other states click
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Please check with local, county and state officials as laws may vary.
Sizing motors
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Online motor calculator
. Online calculators
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to electures For This Useful Post:
VINGOEA (08-09-2011)
Old 08-07-2011, 11:55 PM   #6
" Euro " electrician

sub panel

Heat pump for pool ?? that will be pretty good size unit for sure.

Need more specs on this set up.

If that heat pump is 4 tonne or larger it WILL have to be it own circuit the last large heat pump I done on single phase side is 6 tonne that do denfinetly need 60 amp circuit no queston asked.

How much load you have on the house panel ?

The real best answer is do the load caluation so you know how much leeway you have on exsting service.

Merci.
Marc
VINGOEA (08-09-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 04:56 PM   #7

sub panel

The sub panel has insulated ground from main panel,i also have driven gd rod for sub panel,right now i'am only using a 5 hp table saw,i thought a 60 amp sub panel would be enough for 220 heat pump and a pool light and some low voltage lighting.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #8
Lic Electrical Inspector

sub panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINGOEA View Post
The sub panel has insulated ground from main panel,i also have driven gd rod for sub panel,right now i'am only using a 5 hp table saw,i thought a 60 amp sub panel would be enough for 220 heat pump and a pool light and some low voltage lighting.
Does the subpanel have a seperate neutral conductor (white wire)? Can you post a pic of the subpanel? It will make it easier for us to help you.
. All other states click
Please check with local, county and state officials as laws may vary.
Sizing motors
. Online motor calculator
. Online calculators
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:32 PM   #9

sub panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
Can't you run a 60 amp circuit from either the garage panel or the main panel? Must you have a sub-panel at the pool location? Does the pool require more than just one circuit?
YES I ALSO NEED TO WIRE IN A CIRCUIT FOR PUMP FOR FILTER CODE SAYS THIS NEEDS TO BO ON ASEPERATE CIRCUIT SO IAM GOING TO GO WITH SUB PANELTHANKS AL
Old 08-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #10

sub panel

Looks like iam going to run a sub panel off main panel in house thinking of running sub panel off gfi code says u only need to 12 inches with pvc the only drawback is cost of gfi which way should i go,i will need a 40 amp gfi and 20amp gfi at filter locations if i dont go with gfo in main panel,also does anyone know the code for inground pool light,thanx al.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:19 PM   #11
Master Electrician

sub panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINGOEA View Post
Looks like iam going to run a sub panel off main panel in house thinking of running sub panel off gfi code says u only need to 12 inches with pvc the only drawback is cost of gfi which way should i go,i will need a 40 amp gfi and 20amp gfi at filter locations if i dont go with gfo in main panel,also does anyone know the code for inground pool light,thanx al.
The 12" minimum depth in pvc for residences only applies to GFCI protected circuits of 120 volts or less.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote