Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2011, 01:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

sub panel

i am installing a 60 amp sub panel in my garage. the main panel has only a ground bar and the main ground is attached to it. all the neutrals also attach to this bar. my sub panel also has only one bar. should i run a neutral wire from ground bar in main panel to bar in sub panel and ground sub panel to its own ground? (if so can i use a water pipe or does it have to be a ground rod?)

waynebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

sub panel

Attached or detached garage? Is the subpanel in the same structure as the main panel?

vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:40 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

sub panel

attached, same structure
waynebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:56 AM   #4
Lic Elect/Inspector/CPO

Rewards Points: 250

sub panel

In the subpanel you will install a ground bar kit. The neutrals and grounds will be on seperated in the subpanel . Since this subpanel is in the same structure another ground rod is not required for the sub.
NJMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:32 AM   #5
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

sub panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynebo View Post
i am installing a 60 amp sub panel in my garage. the main panel has only a ground bar and the main ground is attached to it. all the neutrals also attach to this bar. my sub panel also has only one bar. should i run a neutral wire from ground bar in main panel to bar in sub panel and ground sub panel to its own ground? (if so can i use a water pipe or does it have to be a ground rod?)
In addition to the other posting..
You will need to pull 4 wires, two hots, a neutral, and a ground.
At the main the neutral and ground will connect to the neutral bar (ground bar)
At the sub you will have to add a ground bar that will be bonded to the panel case. You will connect all your ground wires to this bar.
The neutral bar in the sub has to be isolated from the case and all the neutral wires will connect here.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
I ask the impossible!

Rewards Points: 506

sub panel

For 60 amp in the same building shouldn't he just be able to run 6-3 NM-B, which would provide his 2 hots, 1 neutral and 1 ground?

Just to note in detatched garage NM cable wouldn't be allowed because it is not rated for underground.

I see what you're saying about the ground bar... I ran into the same thing, my garage subpanel is a Homeline 100 amp main breaker load center. You have to buy the ground bar seperately, they give you a multitude of places to install it - it only takes 1 screw and it's located by 2 bumps on the main panel. Real easy. The ground bars can be purchased in various sizes, for me the cost is $4-7 depending on how many screws... I put 2 ground bars in so I could have one on each side so I didn't have to run really long ground conductors around the whole perimeter of the panel.

Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote