Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2008, 09:35 PM   #1

Share |

Stupid question about energy efficient light fixtures

What makes an energy efficient light fixture more efficient than a conventional light fixture with an energy efficient bulb? Is there really any difference at all?
farmerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:25 PM   #2

Energy efficient light fixture, sorry, never heard of them.

They sound like a rip-off. Don't buy them
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:34 PM   #3
nap
You talking to me?

can't say I have heard the term used either.

any chance of describing one or finding one on the net and linking it?

I am curious.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:19 PM   #4

I am referring to a light fixture that has an energy star rating.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...126&lpage=none
Old 11-15-2008, 11:55 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

for some reason that page won;t load right now for me but with this info, the only other difference would possible be an energy efficient ballast in the fixture.

bottom line; you want to use as few watts as possible to produce the amount of light you want. If an energy efficient lamp in an older fixture uses fewer watts than the energy efficient fixture, the old fixture is better for your use.

bottom line; less watts is less watts.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:18 AM   #6

Ohhh, you mean flourescent, yes, I have heard of them. They use less watts, but be sure to check and see if its such a big difference before heading out and buying it.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:21 AM   #7

I guess what is throwing me off here is how can a fixture be classified as energy efficient? It's the bulb that draws the wattage. Does a fixture contribute anything to the wattage draw? Or maybe they are classified as energy efficient because they are designed for lower wattage bulbs. Usually these fixtures are kind of expensive.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerde View Post
I guess what is throwing me off here is how can a fixture be classified as energy efficient? It's the bulb that draws the wattage. Does a fixture contribute anything to the wattage draw? Or maybe they are classified as energy efficient because they are designed for lower wattage bulbs. Usually these fixtures are kind of expensive.

Flourescents are different than incandescent fixtures because the flourescent needs to be driven by a ballast, the ballast pulls minimal current. Not sure how they classify ee products exactly.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:32 AM   #9

This is what the energy star website says about these fixtures:

"By replacing the five most frequently used light fixtures in your home with ENERGY STAR qualified models, you can save $70 each year in energy costs. Light fixtures that have earned the ENERGY STAR combine quality and attractive design with the highest levels of energy efficiency available today."

But it would seem to me that a energy efficient fixture with a 50 watt bulb and a conventional fixture with a 50 watt energy efficient bulb would be the same.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerde View Post
This is what the energy star website says about these fixtures:

"By replacing the five most frequently used light fixtures in your home with ENERGY STAR qualified models, you can save $70 each year in energy costs. Light fixtures that have earned the ENERGY STAR combine quality and attractive design with the highest levels of energy efficiency available today."

But it would seem to me that a energy efficient fixture with a 50 watt bulb and a conventional fixture with a 50 watt energy efficient bulb would be the same.

Are you thinking of the screw type bulbs that can be installed in any socket? If so, you do not need the flourescent fixture. I do not belive the ee comment...
Old 11-16-2008, 01:55 AM   #11
DIYer

55 watt CF fluorescent bulb is huge. They won't fit in a lot of regular fixtures. Keep in mind it is brighter than 150 watt incandescent.

So maybe that's it? They are designed for the huge high wattage CF bulbs?
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:21 AM   #12
Electrician

I beleive an energy star qualifed light will only except a CFL, the ones I have seen have two pins on the light instead of the typical screw in base.

So in the future when you change the bulb you have to buy a CFL with the two little pins and you can not put in a regular light bulb. So this light fixture will always be energy effecient.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:51 AM   #13
Whatamess

Everyone will be going to CFL. or led
Old 11-16-2008, 09:38 AM   #14

With the energy efficient fixtures, you can ONLY use energy efficient bulbs due to the design of the socket.
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigs View Post
55 watt CF fluorescent bulb is huge. They won't fit in a lot of regular fixtures. Keep in mind it is brighter than 150 watt incandescent.

So maybe that's it? They are designed for the huge high wattage CF bulbs?
That 55 watt was just an example to make a point.

It looks like to me is they are classifying these fixtures as energy efficient because they only take efficient bulbs. However, what I have been getting at is that there really isn't anything efficient about the fixtures themselves and it is misleading to consumers. They charge a lot of money for some of these fixtures.

Someone who might not know any better might spend a lot of money replacing fixtures when all they really have to do is change to a lower wattage bulb or an energy efficient bulb with lower wattage and the same light output.

Some of you mentioned that these fixtures would only take E.E. bulbs and this is correct. Here is some interesting reading from the Maxlite website about the new GU24 bulb for those of you who may not know. Pay paticular attention to the paragraph that talks about how you can put any GU24 bulb in any GU24 fixture and not have to worry about the wattage rating:

THE GU24 BULB AND FIXTURE
By year-end, GU24 will be the most common type of Energy Efficient Light Bulb used in Energy Efficient fixtures. They will be the new standard of light bulb in homes and offices and will be used in all fixture categories; outdoor fixtures, ceiling fixtures, wall sconces, vanity bars, table lamps, floor lamps, hanging pendants and torchieres.
What is it?
The GU24 Light Bulb does not have the usual screw base, but instead has two bayonets protruding from the base. These insert into matching holes in the fixture's socket, and twist to lock into place. Twist and pull, and the bulb comes right out of the socket.
What are the benefits?
The outstanding benefit of the GU24 innovation is that any fixture with a GU24 socket can now take any bulb with a GU24 Connection. That means a fixture is not limited to the light source it was manufactured with; the wattage, and the color and the style of bulb can be changed for any bulb with a similar connection. (If more light is needed, use a higher wattage bulb. If less, use a lesser wattage bulb.)
On Energy Star fixtures?
It is expected that the majority of Energy Efficient ENERGY STAR qualified fixtures will use the GU24 connection. They will accept either a GU24 Bulb or a two piece GU24 self-ballasted socket, which will take a pin-base lamp.
Replacement bulbs?
Replacement bulbs will be available wherever light bulbs and fixtures are sold. MaxLite is already producing families of GU24 Bulbs and these will be available in stores, and on the web, from the MaxLite partners who are already selling MaxLite products.