Structured Media Centers - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2007, 12:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Structured Media Centers

Just wondering who is using them and what you recommend. I want to organize all of my computer and telephone runs and make them a little more manageable. Any tips on how these should be/ can be used to the greatest power?

Advertisement

wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:03 PM   #2
Handyguy

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Structured Media Centers

I haven't done a lot of research. More casual. What I have seen are all somewhat proprietary. Home Depot carries a line. Lowes near me doesn't.

The Home Depot one, for example...
They have 2 sizes of main panels, large and really large.
They then have various inserts for different applications. Phone, LAN and Cable. These inserts somehow attach into this main chassis. various other dodads like power supplies (for what, I'm not sure) and other things were available.

For me - I needed to split CATV to multiple locations as well as provide for dual coax satellite connections, LAN and telco. I found the modular system would not really meet my needs. The CATV module was much more expensive that the 1x4 splitter I needed. The phone module was nice. The LAN module was a 5 port hub IIRC.

In the end I just split the CATV. Made all wires neat. Took the rats nest of wires for phone and neatened them up with the 1x8 module that I put into an enclosure from radio shack and I have my LAN in a different closet with a punch down block.

Anyway, I sort of rambled.

SmartHome may have something you like. www.smarthome.com

Advertisement

Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:36 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Structured Media Centers

I have a new home that had a "grayfox" system standard. It's pretty slick and I like the flexibility it allows me. Install the biggest box you can fit, it makes it much easier to add items such as routers and modems in it.

If you are just building, run a conduit from the box to the attic and another from the box to the crawl space, it makes it great for adding wires later.
ImproveInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:24 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,448

Structured Media Centers

Make sure that you think of the future needs (ie double the CATV wires, Ethernet, Telephone). If using the jacks that can double as RJ-11/RJ-45, it makes things easier. Also, run CAT-5e for all runs & RG-6 for CATV. If you are still unsure of doing everything, may be getting someone that does Network & A/V cabling to do the terminting.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote