DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Stripped Thread in Electrical box - Help (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/stripped-thread-electrical-box-help-165500/)

amber07 12-03-2012 03:32 PM

Stripped Thread in Electrical box - Help
 
Hi all! I am installing a new ceiling fan where a lighter ceiling fan was installed by the previous owner. When I went to attach the bracket to the electrical box, one screw was fine, but the other hole was stripped.

When I climbed in the attic to check how the box was mounted to see if it could be easily changed, it's nailed to the beam and going to be difficult to remove.

A friend mentioned rethreading the hole.

Whats the best way to fix this?

I should mention this is ALL very new to me, so please speak in layman terms!! :)

jbfan 12-03-2012 03:39 PM

What kind of box is it?
Being nailed on does not sound like a fan rated box.

amber07 12-03-2012 03:42 PM

To be honest, I have no idea.

amber07 12-03-2012 03:46 PM

It's old, been painted over, textured over, etc. It looks like this, as best I can tell:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=203343431&storeId=10051&l angId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=203343431&ci_kw={keyword} &kwd={keyword}&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-203343431&ci_gpa=pla#.UL0d5FKQEw0

danpik 12-03-2012 04:50 PM

If it is a fan rated box like the one in the link you posted then there is no mounting hole to be stripped when mounting a fan. There should be two screws protrudn down thru the box like in the link to mount the fan to. Souns like you have a standard light box that is not fan rated.

ToolSeeker 12-04-2012 06:33 AM

Just use a 1 size bigger screw. Run a drywall screw in in first being careful not to hit any wire with the sharp point.

joed 12-04-2012 07:30 AM

Do you really want to take a chance on the fan falling? Change the box to a fan rated one.

ToolSeeker 12-04-2012 07:59 AM

How do you know it's not fan has been hanging on it for years?

PoleCat 12-04-2012 08:39 AM

There are probably 10 times as many fans hanging from what ever box the home owner found when they installed it as ones that hang from a "fan rated" box that the festidious instruction following home owner upgraded. Its a ticking time bomb I tell you!

amber07 12-04-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danpik (Post 1065708)
If it is a fan rated box like the one in the link you posted then there is no mounting hole to be stripped when mounting a fan. There should be two screws protrudn down thru the box like in the link to mount the fan to. Souns like you have a standard light box that is not fan rated.

The 2 screws on the side that protrude (like in this picture) is what is stripped. I didnt realize when mounting the ceiling fan that I didnt really have to take those all the way out...but I did. So when I put the new bracket on and was screwing the screw back in, it just kept turning and turning...when I took the screws back out and tried with a diff screw, at one point the screw just slid all the way in.

danpik 12-04-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amber07 (Post 1066084)
The 2 screws on the side that protrude (like in this picture) is what is stripped. I didnt realize when mounting the ceiling fan that I didnt really have to take those all the way out...but I did. So when I put the new bracket on and was screwing the screw back in, it just kept turning and turning...when I took the screws back out and tried with a diff screw, at one point the screw just slid all the way in.

So it is not realy stripped but, instead is spinning in the hole. There is a head on that screw on top of the box. You may be able to have someone hold it while you tighten the nut from below.

amber07 12-04-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danpik (Post 1066098)
So it is not realy stripped but, instead is spinning in the hole. There is a head on that screw on top of the box. You may be able to have someone hold it while you tighten the nut from below.

Ok, i will have to look from the attic...but when I looked up there last time, i never saw a nut. I just saw the box and it nailed to the beam. Then again, I didn't really know what I was looking for.

Oso954 12-04-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amber07 (Post 1066122)
Ok, i will have to look from the attic...but when I looked up there last time, i never saw a nut. I just saw the box and it nailed to the beam. Then again, I didn't really know what I was looking for.

If its nailed to the beam, it is not fan rated. (Or fan rated box that is improperly installed, invalidating the rating)

The link you posted uses 3 long screws from inside the box to attach to the beam. Also, they sell a similar box that is not fan rated. The metal strap across the top of the box is critical for fan support.

If you have any doubts, replace it with a fan rated box.

stickboy1375 12-04-2012 04:00 PM

As a side note, you are not required to use a fan rated box with a fan, its just an option, you can simply nail a 2x4 over the box and secure the fan to the 2x4 and not the box itself if you don't want to change the box out....

Jim Port 12-04-2012 04:05 PM

Just because the box is nailed on does not mean it is not fan rated.

A picture of the box would help.

As Stickboy stated, the box only needs to be fan rated if it is the sole support for the fan.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:16 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved