Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

strange weak power

I put this wiring in before the ceiling was installed which is now installed; now I'm ready now to hang two fans. Set up is: Power source FROM wall switch to first fan box, this is now a live capped wire which turns off and on at the wall switch box. Second wire is installed from first fan box to second fan box other side of the room; this second wire is completely unattached to anything and waiting to carry power from first fan box to the second fan box. Now, when I go to install the fans I find with my simple voltage tester a slow faint signal of power (slow beeping) on the totally unattached wire running between the two fan boxes! What is this? The power source wire gives proper strong signal when the wall switch is on and is also totally dead when the wall switch is off. But the unattached wire from one fan box to the second fan box is now giving a faint power signal with voltage tester. What could be causing this?

DiegoJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
Mad Scientist

strange weak power

The unattached wire is picking up some induced voltage from another nearby source of power. It's not really there. Those non-contact voltage detectors are occasionally a bit flaky. Rub one up and down your shirt sleeve once, it'll detect voltage.

McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to McSteve For This Useful Post:
DiegoJames (12-29-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #3

strange weak power

That's what I was hoping! The unattached wire is going through the same just big enough hole in the fan box. I guess I should have entered the other wire from the other side of the box.
DiegoJames is offline   Reply With Quote