DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Stranded or solid wire (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/stranded-solid-wire-162657/)

Greenie 11-08-2012 09:56 PM

Stranded or solid wire
 
I am in the process of I stalling a new 30a DP breaker in my panel and attaching that to a 30a inlet receptacle ia 10g wire for my back up 6500kw generator to plug into. Now most of you experienced members might laugh at this but I am not experienced and am posting here because I am a DIY homeowner.

I asked the senior electrical guy ( who is also a teacher of electrical at the local college) at home depot for some assistance with cutting me my 10g wires and he cut 3 feet of red. Black. Green and white for me. But it appears to be stranded wire not solid. He knew what this was for and still cut that. Is this bad and or gonna be a safety issue for my panel and or generator?

I am planning on installing this receptacle tmrw and wiring it up....obviously before I do that I wanted to check in with the members and get some feedback.

Thanks.

jbfan 11-08-2012 09:58 PM

Stranded is fine.
Is this to be used inside the panel?

Greenie 11-08-2012 10:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbfan
Stranded is fine.
Is this to be used inside the panel?

Yes. There's now a 30a breaker in that empty spot waiting to be wired up

theatretch85 11-09-2012 12:19 AM

If this is for a generator back-feed you MUST install an interlock kit to prevent the main breaker and the generator breaker from being on at the same time.

Greenie 11-09-2012 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theatretch85
If this is for a generator back-feed you MUST install an interlock kit to prevent the main breaker and the generator breaker from being on at the same time.

I know and did. Wasn't inquiring about that. Only about the stranded vs solid wires.

kbsparky 11-09-2012 05:07 AM

Stranded wire is preferred over solid in such an installation.

rjniles 11-09-2012 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbsparky (Post 1047946)
Stranded wire is preferred over solid in such an installation.

KB,
Is that a personal preference or is there a compliance issue?

Poster,
? The 40 amp breaker below your empty slot. What does that feed? It does not look like #8 wire.

k_buz 11-09-2012 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjniles (Post 1047973)
KB,
Is that a personal preference or is there a compliance issue?

No code issue, and with #10 and up, I think most if not all electricians prefer stranded over solid. Its really only with #14 or #12 do you have the big debate.

kbsparky 11-09-2012 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjniles (Post 1047973)
KB,
Is that a personal preference or is there a compliance issue?.....

Personal preference. When terminating a #10 wire into those flanged inlets, a stranded wire makes for a much better connection than that stiff #10 solid.

I have had the solid wire twist loose when manipulating the inlet after tightening the connection. Never happens with a stranded conductor.

Greenie 11-09-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjniles

KB,
Is that a personal preference or is there a compliance issue?

Poster,
? The 40 amp breaker below your empty slot. What does that feed? It does not look like #8 wire.

It's a 40a DP quad breaker. 1 set feeds the 4 ton AC compressor and the other set feeds a sub panel that runs the tankless water heater and the washing machine/dryer.

oleguy74 11-09-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenie (Post 1048063)
It's a 40a DP quad breaker. 1 set feeds the 4 ton AC compressor and the other set feeds a sub panel that runs the tankless water heater and the washing machine/dryer.

that 40 amp below vac space is not a 2 pole quad.it is just a bouble pole 40 amp.

bobelectric 11-09-2012 03:00 PM

You need guidence from an experienced electrician on how to install a generator panel.

Greenie 11-09-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oleguy74

that 40 amp below vac space is not a 2 pole quad.it is just a bouble pole 40 amp.

Sorry. Dumb that down for me? What's a bouble ?

oleguy74 11-09-2012 04:03 PM

doubble pole.two breakers rivetted together with a handel tie.quad breaker is two single pole two handel breakers riveted together.giving a 240 volt ckt and two sinhle pole ckts,or two 240 volt ckts.the two breakers at left of the vac spot are tandems.

Speedy Petey 11-09-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenie (Post 1047914)
I know and did. Wasn't inquiring about that. Only about the stranded vs solid wires.

Doesn't matter what you are inquiring about. He was correct in making that statement, just to be sure.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved