Stove Tops Works, But Not Oven - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2011, 11:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Stove tops works, but not oven

Hi, this GE JSP39 Slide In Electric Range's all 4 stove tops works, but not the oven. It is not surprising since the control panel is not lit. Some suggests I should rule out these items:

- Circuit breaker - Would a multimeter reading of 240 does it? (see pics below)
- Oven Heating Element - is a bad element causes the control panel not to lit or the other way around?
- control panel - Multimeter continuity tests of all electrical interfaces where I can plug in the source wires (tested about 8 of those), but not the rest of the circuits, produces sound instead "OL" reading on the multimeter, which means it is OK so far, right?

Pics of range, 240v outlet and reading, control module, and circuit breaker:
http://www.box.net/shared/8mv3c318bu

Any other ideas from the board before I invest $ in buying a new control module or heating element?

Thanks

Advertisement

Last edited by WarrenDar; 03-18-2011 at 11:55 AM.
WarrenDar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,204

Do you have the manual that would've come with the oven? They often have troubleshooting info and/or schematics. If you don't, I'll bet you could find one somewhere on the internet.

Advertisement

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

Does the broiler work? Since you have a meter, you could unplug the element and check continuity. Another thing that I would do is unplug the module and look at the back side and see if you find any cold solder joints. A cold solder joint will have a gray, grainy, dull, appearance.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

I have you looked for a fuse block to make sure that it isn't just that simple??

rod
rditz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #5
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,056

OK, if top elements are working then you know you have 240 volts to range, no reason to check incoming you are good. Bad bake element will not effect control panel, so that leaves the panel itself. Most likely if it is not lit up at all it is bad, but to be sure find out which 2 wires feed power to it and measure for 110 volts, if you have correct voltage coming to control you will have to replace.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Do you have the manual that would've come with the oven? They often have troubleshooting info and/or schematics. If you don't, I'll bet you could find one somewhere on the internet.
Yes, 1 option I have not tried is check the house fuse since my meter shows 240V. See full options in the picture labelled "Manual_TShoot_1" I just added.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rditz View Post
I have you looked for a fuse block to make sure that it isn't just that simple??

rod
Where do I find a "fuse block", is it on the control module of the oven as seen here http://fixyourboard.com/boards/WB27K5073.html?

Advertisement