Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2011, 11:16 PM   #1

Share |

stove house wiring.

I just removed a stove with a 3 prong outlet and plug and the new stove is 4 prong. The wire from the panel id 3 wire. 2 hots and a neutral. I know that I need a ground wire for new plug. There is a very long run from the mail panel to the stove outlet. This is my thought. Could I not use the old stove wire, running from the main panel and use it to set up a sub panel in the basement, below the kitchen stove area. To set up a sub panel the neutral and the ground are attached to the ground/neutral bus bar but separated at the sub panel. Could I not use the 3 wire as 2 hots and neutral and just runner a single wire from the main panel, to use as a ground into the sub panel, instead of doing the whole length with a new 4 wire?

Ron-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:51 PM   #2
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

stove house wiring.

The easy and normal thing to do is to replace the 4-wire cord with a 3-wire cord, being sure to bond the neutral and ground terminals in the appliance according to the instructions. This is allowable.

mpoulton is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mpoulton For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (12-12-2011), Ron-NY (12-12-2011)
Old 12-12-2011, 12:01 AM   #3

stove house wiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
The easy and normal thing to do is to replace the 4-wire cord with a 3-wire cord, being sure to bond the neutral and ground terminals in the appliance according to the instructions. This is allowable.
Oh...I did not realize that that was an option. I purchased this stove, with the 4 wire plug used, so I don't have a set of instructions but I am sure with a bit of googling I can find the instructions for it. Thank you! This is going to be easier than I thought. lol
Old 12-12-2011, 07:33 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

stove house wiring.

You do not have to google anything. mPoulton stated exactly what needs to be done on the stove. Unhook the 4-wire plug, take the green wire that is hanging free place back on the chassis, and then attach the green screw back above the white wire.

Even easier, just post a picture of the wiring block, and we can tell you how to do it. There are other posts about the exact same thing, but the opposite way, going from 3 to 4, you just reverse the process.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Ron-NY (12-12-2011)
Old 12-12-2011, 07:49 PM   #5

stove house wiring.

I thank you both. I will open the the unit tomorrow. Take the 3 prong plug from the old stove and attempt this. Funny, I have done my own house wiring for 25 years...took this whole building that had 100amp fuse box and very few outlets and rewired the whole place adding a 200 amp panel yet have no idea about appliances...lol I did see the other threads but didn't know the reverse was safe or not. If I have a problem I will post pics but I think I should be able to accomplish this. Again, thank you!!!
Old 12-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

stove house wiring.

Here Ron, is some info in how it should be hooked up, either 3-wire or 4-wire.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Ron-NY (12-12-2011)
Old 12-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #7

stove house wiring.

WOW...you guys are great!!!! Thanks!