Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2010, 09:23 PM   #1

Share |

still baffled by Hot / Neu reverse

well, spent much of this day trying to figure out where the electricity
actually comes from, finally, discovered that the power line comes out of the attic, the circuit has seven outlets, only the very first in line outlet has the correct wiring ( per the three prong tester ) then all the other
receptacles that are down stream all have : Hot / Neutral reversed
even though all appear to be wired correctly, could it somehow have something to do with a switch, we have two on this circuit. ? ?
I am very concerned, we have three commercial sewing machines out in the Garage, two of them if you are in your socks, and touch the Frames will give you a good jolt ( shock ) ouch not good.
I am guessing that is because they are plugged into these hot / neu
reversed outlets, not sure. I have checked most all junctions, but
yet to get up in the Attic, if you can tell me a idea or two it would be very appreciated. PIGEONS

PIGEONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
Chicago, IL

One thing to check for: a junction box between the last "correctly" wired receptacle outlet and the first "incorrectly" wired outlet, with the "hot" and "neutral" conductors reversed at their connection in the box.

Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:59 PM   #3

It could be miswired at the good receptacle. If the outgoing white and black were connected to the incoming black and white wire that would reverse everything downstream.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:42 AM   #4
Chicago, IL

Looks like the OP has already checked the wiring at the receptacle outlets:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIGEONS View Post
well, spent much of this day trying to figure out where the electricity actually comes from, finally, discovered that the power line comes out of the attic, the circuit has seven outlets, only the very first in line outlet has the correct wiring ( per the three prong tester ) then all the other receptacles that are down stream all have Hot / Neutral reversed even though all appear to be wired correctly
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:18 PM   #5
Electrical Contractor

In this thread he talks about replacine 2 prong for 3 prong receptacles.
Replacement of outlet boxs

I'm betting a bootleg ground may be the problem.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
Mad Scientist

Yeah, sorta sounds like what I ran in to at my buddy's house, reversed polarity and a bootleg ground. That combination will light you up good when you least expect it...

The solution there probably applies here as well; it's time to start pulling out every outlet, opening every junction box, and mapping out the wiring. Figure out where the neutral and hot got swapped, and swap it back. Find and remove any neutral to ground jumpers. Replace any ungrounded 3-prong outlets with 2-prong or GFCI outlets.

McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote