Steve - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Steve

Need help wiring a switch to a single phase motor so I can reverse the direction. The wires are color coded not numbered. I have the double pole switch that has six posts on the back. I need to know where to hook up which wires. This motor also has a termal protection switch there with three wires coming off it, labeled P1, T1 and P2. The other wire colors are: Blue, red, orange, black, white and yellow. My power cord has a white, black and green wire. I know the green wire is the ground to the motor. I just need to know which wires go where so the motor will reverse direction when I flip the switch. Please help, I need this to work by Wed. Thank you

Advertisement

pyrexno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,128

Steve

Always use the wiring diagram on the motor nameplate.

Advertisement

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Steve

Motor should have a wiring diagram on it somewhere. It will list which wires to 'switch' for reverse operation.
Protocol. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,128

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protocol. View Post
Motor should have a wiring diagram on it somewhere. It will list which wires to 'switch' for reverse operation.
Generally 5 + 8 get inverted, but I'd rather see the wiring diagram.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:05 PM   #5

Steve

There is no wiring diagram, just a listing.
P1-----Line 1
Blue & T1-----Insulate
Red & P2 & Orange------Insulate
Black & White & Yellow------Line 2

But what is line 1 & 2, what does insulate mean? And which wires do I use to hook up the reversing switch?
Old 07-01-2012, 11:32 PM   #6

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrexno1 View Post
P1-----Line 1
Blue & T1-----Insulate

But what is line 1 & 2, what does insulate mean? And which wires do I use to hook up the reversing switch?
L1 and L2 are hot and neutral.

There should be something like that on the backside of the removable cover. It will say, Switch wire X and Y for CCW(or CW) rotation.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #7

Steve

There is no diagram on the back of any cover. There is only the list that I gave last posting, which is what you show in your diagram. OK, so line 1 is Hot and line 2 is neutral. I still don't know what "insulate" means and which wires to attach to which posts on the reversing switch. I don't want to just reverse the motor permanently, which I could do by switching wires X & Y like you suggest. I want the motor to run CW when I need it to and to run CCW when I need it to by simply flipping the switch. There are two vertical rows of posts on the back of the switch-three posts on each side. Starting on the top left and going down, which color of wire do I put on each post? Then start on the right top and tell me which color of wire gois where. Then I will know what I need to do to make it work. Telling me to switch wire X & Y is of no help since none of my wires are labeled that way and I don't know where those wires are supposed to be to begin with.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,008

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrexno1 View Post
P1-----Line 1
Blue & T1-----Insulate

P1 - Line 1
Blue & T1 - Both connected together. Insulate.
Red & P2 & Orange - All three connected together. Insulate.
Black & White & Yellow - Line 2

Black is #5
Red is #8

Power to P1.
Power to Blk/Wht/Yell.
Interchange "red" and "black" to reverse. Swap them around.

Last edited by J. V.; 07-02-2012 at 11:50 AM.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #9
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,648

Steve

Can you zoom out on that pic of the name plate? I think they are telling you how to hook it up. See where it makes a reference to T5 and T8 for CW? CW means Clock Wise.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #10

Steve

I was just posting that pic as an example of what he should see.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #11
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,648

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protocol. View Post
I was just posting that pic as an example of what he should see.
Oh crap....I guess it would help to look at the name closer....both started with a "P".

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #12
Idiot Emeritus

Rewards Points: 1,080

Steve

What you're trying to accomplish is actually pretty simple.

First, where is the reversing switch located? If the motor leads are in a small compartment in the back of the motor, the switch very likely won't fit on the cover plate. If they're in a box mounted on the side of the motor, there's usually enough room for a switch.

If the switch is to be mounted somewhere away from the motor, you'll need 4 wires plus a ground.

This motor is dual voltage (115/230), and according to the info given, it's being connected for 115 volts.

The nameplate will list two amperages. The higher one is for 115 volts; make sure the wire that feeds it can handle more than the higher amperage listed. If the reversing switch is located away from the motor, the 4 wires going to it need to be able to handle the lower current listed.

Now for the actual connections; everything I state concerning the switch will be looking at the terminals (with the handle pointing away from you). The left side will have 3 terminals and the right side will also have 3 terminals. Two on top, two in the center and two on the bottom.

First, connect the incoming hot (black if it's a cord) to P1. Depending on the size of the wires, a yellow or orange wirenut will work.

Next, connect the blue motor wire to T1. An orange wirenut will likely work here.

Next, connect P2, and the orange motor wire together along with another wire that goes to the left center terminal of the reversing switch. (3 wires total) An orange wirenut might be too small for this, you might need a yellow one.

Next, connect the other incoming line (white if it's a cord), the white and yellow motor leads together along with another wire that goes to the right center of the reversing switch. (4 wires total) An orange wirenut will almost certainly be too small, a yellow one will be ok.

Next, connect the red motor wire to the top right and the bottom left of the reversing switch.

Finally, connect the black motor wire to the top left and bottom right of the reversing switch.

I haven't stated anything about grounds, that's the green wire. There's usually a green screw somewhere in the motor terminal box, this is where the green wire goes.

The reversing switch will cause the motor to rotate in the opposite direction only if the motor is de-energized and allowed to come to a standstill (or close to it anyway). If the reversing switch is flipped while the motor is running, nothing will happen until the shaft is stopped (or close to stopped). Then, it'll start in the opposite direction.

I realize this looks complicated, but once you get started it'll make sense.

Rob

Advertisement

micromind is offline   Reply With Quote