Stereo Speakers - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,020

Stereo speakers

I picked up a used stereo at a yard sale (Panasonic CD Stereo System). Yeah, I know I'm old school, but I just wanted something to play my stack of CD's on.

We had an old surround sound system that bit the dust not too long ago. I had my old stereo hooked up to the speakers and would like to do the same with this stereo, but I didn't realize the speaker hook ups were different. The surround sound speakers just use the old standard speaker wires with two connections.

The attached is from the book that came with the new (for me) system. It threatens everything from damage to fire to I think of plague of locusts if I do this wrong.

I don't mind risking the stereo, after all, it was a yard sale find, but I obviously don't want to risk a fire.

Is there a significant danger or are they just covering their butts?

And if you were to hook it up, how would you connect the two connections to the four terminals?
Attached Thumbnails
Stereo speakers-speaker01.jpg  

Advertisement

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,642

Stereo speakers

OMG.....your going to cause global warming and the mind control from that antenna hookup is going to scramble everyone's brains within a quarter mile range.

You will be fine....

I assume you mean pic #3?

If you have surround....you have at least 4 speakers.....each speaker has 2 wires...+ & -....just match the speaker to the channel.

The only danger of getting the speakers + & - reversed is an out of phase sound....but nothing will blow up (but you will hear little voices in your head)

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link

Last edited by ddawg16; 06-19-2013 at 12:52 PM.
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
Stuck in the 70's

Stereo speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
....but nothing will blow up (but you will hear little voices in your head)
You mean MoRe of them!!!!

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 562

Stereo speakers

Quote:

The only danger of getting the speakers + & - reversed is an out of phase sound

I would LOVE to hear an explanation of "out of phase sound".

Waht exactly do you mean by that?
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:29 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 732

Stereo speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktkelly

I would LOVE to hear an explanation of "out of phase sound".

Waht exactly do you mean by that?
If you wire one of the woofers reversed (polarity wise) then instead of the speakers combining for low end bass they cancel each other out somewhat reducing the sound level.
curiousB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Stereo speakers

what brand and model surround we'll google the rear connections....but speaker connection when you rocked out back then..were left and right + & - ....just look to connect them to FRONT ports for left/right forget center and subwoofer keep the positive/negatives from the amp to the speakers true the only way it would start a fire is if you threw gas on the surround...they just cover their electrical butts with that statement...if the surround "any brand" sees an overload it will trip within when you crank it up for that favorite tune.i just picked up a HP laptop with XBOX took the headphone jack out of the HP and slammed it into the Video 1 port on my SONY surround 110 AMPS....play favorite albums without changing anything all day... watch those amps...

Last edited by biggles; 06-20-2013 at 04:58 PM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to biggles For This Useful Post:
Blondesense (06-20-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 14

Stereo speakers

Judging by the part about amplifier damage, they are probably covering their butts in case someone hooks up 4ohm speakers (typically found in cars) to an 8ohm amp (usually home stereos), which from what I understand can cause amplifier and/or speaker damage. As long as your speakers were originally on an indoor use stereo you should be fine, but they should have a marking on them to indicate how many ohms they are - i'd bet 8
zolakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #8

Stereo speakers

if they have a meter 200 ohm setting will show up 8ohms + -
Old 06-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #9
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,642

Stereo speakers

Come to think of it, I don't ever think I've measured the resistance of a speaker?

I'm wondering if the DC resistance would not actually be a bit lower than 8 ohms. I would be inclined to think the impedance of 8 ohms would be the AC impedance....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:00 PM   #10

Stereo speakers

never saw actual 8 ohms...7.8/9.0 floats. that two connections isn't the first pix each speaker has a pair of wires ...one pair for the right one for the left

Last edited by biggles; 06-20-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #11
Stuck in the 70's

Stereo speakers

Well I just hooked up two of the surround speakers so I could listen while upstairs.
Everything seems to be working fine. No problems, fires, explosions, or even voices.
Thanks all.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #12
Electrical Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 500

Stereo speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense
Well I just hooked up two of the surround speakers so I could listen while upstairs.
Everything seems to be working fine. No problems, fires, explosions, or even voices.
Thanks all.
What about mind control?
Kyle_in_rure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 732

Stereo speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles
if they have a meter 200 ohm setting will show up 8ohms + -
Actually no it won't speakers are complex impedance and only partially resistive. Your meter will only give the non reactive portion, ie the DC resistance.
curiousB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:26 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,548

Stereo speakers

Quote:
Come to think of it, I don't ever think I've measured the resistance of a speaker?

I'm wondering if the DC resistance would not actually be a bit lower than 8 ohms. I would be inclined to think the impedance of 8 ohms would be the AC impedance....
Well technically speakers don't really have resistance, or if they do specify it, it's useless. Since sound waves are AC, speakers have varying impedance. For example, they might list an impedance of 8 ohms, but that's an arbitrary average or median over a range of sound frequencies.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:34 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,548

Stereo speakers

They are more or less covering their butts.

I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, but you don't sound like a real audiophile, so half of what they're saying isn't very important to you. (I admit, I'm an audio snob.) The only real damage you can do is if you short the + and - leads and send current straight back to the amplifier, which could fry it. But hooking up speakers out of phase - unless you have your chair in the sweet spot right between the stereo speakers and are listening to a good quality recording, you might not even ever know. It can reduce the bass though.

The only real problem with using speakers that the amplifier isn't designed for is in the case of very low impedance (usually high end) speakers. Then the "resistance" is so low that the amplifier is being asked to send much more current than the unit was designed for. Using speakers with an impedance of 8 ohms or higher is always a safe bet. Speakers with 4 ohms or less can require massive amplifiers capable of putting out both high power and high current.

Advertisement

jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
Blondesense (06-21-2013)