Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2011, 12:24 PM   #1

Share |

Stealing power from existing circuit

Hi all

I have tried searching but to no avail so please don't flame me if this is something covered elsewhere.

I am trying to add some lights to hang over the pool table in the (unfinished) basement. There are several lights already down there and I have stolen some power from the nearest light but I have obviously done something not quite right. The set-up looks like this:

I installed a pull switch after the existing light, which feeds the pool lights.

End result: I have to have a bulb in the pull switch for power to reach the pool table lights. When I pull the switch it powers the table lights but it either has full power at the table and a dim light in the pull switch fixture, or vice versa.

Any help, advice greatly appreciated as I am receiving those 'told you so' looks from the missus and I could do without it

ShafTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:48 PM   #2

It sounds to me as if you hooked up power for the two fixtures in series rather than in parallel.

Can you describe how this is wired? How many, and of what color, wires come into the existing fixture box? How many wires did you add? To what existing wires did you connect the new wires?

oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:00 PM   #3

thanks for responding.

So I have attached a picture (hopefully)

I joined the black from the existing switch with the one leading to the new pull switch (3 wires in the nut). I attached that black to the bronze lug on the switch. From the silver lug I ran the black wire to the black wire on the pool table lights.

Now the white wire from the pool table lights I just run back to the source via the switch box but not wired in to it. I earthed everything as well but don't show that on my terrible drawing.
Attached Thumbnails
Stealing power from existing circuit-wiring.jpg  
Old 11-10-2011, 02:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShafTT View Post
thanks for responding.

So I have attached a picture (hopefully)

I joined the black from the existing switch with the one leading to the new pull switch (3 wires in the nut). I attached that black to the bronze lug on the switch. From the silver lug I ran the black wire to the black wire on the pool table lights.

Now the white wire from the pool table lights I just run back to the source via the switch box but not wired in to it. I earthed everything as well but don't show that on my terrible drawing.
You did wire it in series. Here's how to fix it. Connect the black wires together and the white wires together. Also add a pigtail under each wire nut (1 black and 1 white). Run these pigtails (short pieces of wire) to the pull switch light fixture. Black on brass, white on silver. Hook up the black and white wire in your last light fixture the same.

Hope this helps.

Disclaimer: Please be careful, not trying to be insulting, but turn the power off before doing any of this. It sounds like you don't have alot of electrical experience
CheapCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #5

I don't have much experience at all, but don't worry this is not another Darwin moment and I do at least know not to work on a live circuit!!!

I didn't quite understand what you said though. Let me try and summarise what I think you are recommending.

Existing light fixture: take the black and white from that and join it with the black wired from the billiard table lights and leave a pigtail connection that then goes in to the brass connector on the pull switch.

do the same for the white, only connect that to the silver connector on the pull switch.

I thought that wouldn't work because I'm not interrupting the power supply to the billiard lights with the switch?

I'm sorry, I'm sure you are rolling your eyes, I do appreciate your patience. I don't mean to worry you but I wired up an entire room in my basement with lights, sockets, and even a pool pump only 3 years ago but they were all new circuits and properly inspected by the authorities. I can't understand why I am so stumped by this one...age....is a cruel cruel trick.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:59 PM   #6

Stealing power from existing circuit-temp.jpg
ShafTT (11-10-2011)
Old 11-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShafTT View Post
I don't have much experience at all, but don't worry this is not another Darwin moment and I do at least know not to work on a live circuit!!!

I didn't quite understand what you said though. Let me try and summarise what I think you are recommending.

Existing light fixture: take the black and white from that and join it with the black wired from the billiard table lights and leave a pigtail connection that then goes in to the brass connector on the pull switch.

do the same for the white, only connect that to the silver connector on the pull switch.

I thought that wouldn't work because I'm not interrupting the power supply to the billiard lights with the switch?

I'm sorry, I'm sure you are rolling your eyes, I do appreciate your patience. I don't mean to worry you but I wired up an entire room in my basement with lights, sockets, and even a pool pump only 3 years ago but they were all new circuits and properly inspected by the authorities. I can't understand why I am so stumped by this one...age....is a cruel cruel trick.
OK, I see what you are trying to do. You want to use the pull switch as a switch for the pool lights. It can't be done. The pull chain switch is only for interrupting the power to that light only.

Do you still want that pull chain light? If not, just run the wire directly from the existing light to the pool table light and run another wire from the pool table light across the roof and down the wall to a normal single pole light switch.

You will now have 2 wires coming into the pool table light. One from the existing light and one from the new switch. Connect the black wire from the existing light to the white wire going to the new switch. Tape this white wire black. Connect the white wire from the existing light to the neutral (silver) screw on the pool table light. Connect the black wire from the switch to the hot (black) screw on the pool table light.

In the new switch box, connect the 2 wires to the switch (again, tape the white wire black).

I didn't mention the grounds but I think you should have a handle on that right?
CheapCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CheapCharlie For This Useful Post:
ShafTT (11-10-2011)
Old 11-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapCharlie View Post
You want to use the pull switch as a switch for the pool lights. It can't be done.
Correct. That's what I was trying to do. I was trying to avoid running another switch because I don't have any struts to connnect the switch box to, hence the pull switch.

thanks for the comments, I appreciate it.