Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2013, 04:51 AM   #1
Electrical Contractor

Share |

State ELECTRICAL Lics PA ...

PA STATE LICENSING - HB1585
There is a House Bill 1585 being advanced through the PA General Assembly which is calling for the licensure of electrical contractors, journeymen electricians as well as apprentice electricians. The prime sponsor of the bill is John Taylor who represents Philadelphia County. Also co-signing the bill are assemblymen Neilson, Godshall, Killion, Youngblood, Micozzie, B. Boyle, Cruz, Cohen, Schlossberg, Brownlee, W. Keller, Clay, Gingrich, Carroll, Petri, Kortz and Caltagirone.

Let me make it clear that I am firmly in support of this legislation. This is not because I teach classes for a living but rather because it would require people to receive an education in the trade before they begin to install a system as important as the electrical system of a building anywhere in Pennsylvania. I receive many calls per year asking if I teach classes that teach the trade to an individual just starting out and I tell them all the same thing – apply to an apprenticeship school. Apprenticeship is taught in the immediate area at IBEW LU 98, Philadelphia; LU 380 Collegeville; LU 654 Chester; LU 269 Trenton and Eastern PA; LU 351 South Jersey and LU 313 in State of Delaware. If not able to get into one of those union training facilities there are other programs like ABC contractor group or one of the many local tech school. Tech schools like Bucks County Technical School, Middle Bucks, Upper Bucks, Eastern Montgomery and Delaware County Technical Schools just to name a few all offer daytime and evening programs.

Back to the legislation. Please be aware that there is currently no PA state license of electrical contractors. There are people running around doing electrical work and saying that they are “licensed” when all they really are is “registered” with the PA State Attorney General’s office. The only licenses being issued in the state of PA are all the larger cities like Philadelphia, Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Allentown, Bethlehem, Quakertown, Harrisburg, Erie, Pittsburgh, Reading, Kutztown, Lower Merion Township and West Chester Borough just to name a few. This is in no way a complete list but the cities that I did list all require that an individual must have taken and passed the Standard Master Electrician Exam issued by the International Code Council (ICC). Some of the cities may accept an equivalent exam so it is always a good idea to check with the municipality to find out what the exact requirements are. Important point to make here is that if a person is already licensed in one of the PA municipalities that require an ICC or equivalent exam be passed in the first place that person’s license will automatically be upgraded to a state license once the bill is passed. If you have merely “registered” to work in a PA township and paid them an annual fee and showed them an insurance certificate, please note that is not a “license” as referred to in HB 1585.

Comments? Questions? Viewpoints? Suggestions? I would like every one of my readers to get involved on this piece of legislation. Let me know how you feel. After you go online and read the entire bill for yourself please feel free to email me and let me know why you think this licensing idea is a good plan or what needs to be improved. Every one of you needs to send a note to your State Representative and let them know how you feel also. Don’t know who your Rep is? Go to www.house.state.pa.us and check the list. The State licensing of contractors, journeymen, and apprentices works in our sister states of Delaware and New Jersey and there is now reason why it can't be successful here in Pennsylvania.

this info is from >>>>>>

Rich Van Wert is an Electric Inspector licensed in the City of Philadelphia and certified by the State of Pennsylvania and licensed by the State of New Jersey. He is currently employed by the Division of Community Affairs (DCA), Trenton, NJ. He serves on the Board of Directors for the Benjamin Franklin Chapter of the International Association of Electrical Inspectors (IAEI) in Philadelphia. Rich is President and Chief Instructor at the Electric Education Center, Bensalem, PA.

Electric Education Center
967-A Bristol Pike
Bensalem, PA 19020
215-245-2024

Old 10-23-2013, 06:04 AM   #2
E2 Electrician

Interesting how it varies from state to state... You have to have a Electricial contractors license to be in business in Connecticut.

stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Master View Post
PA STATE LICENSING - HB1585
There is a House Bill 1585 being advanced through the PA General Assembly which is calling for the licensure of electrical contractors, journeymen electricians as well as apprentice electricians.

Welcome to the 20th Century.

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:57 AM   #4

Does this legislation ban DIY'ers from doing electric work on their own residences?

State licensing of Electricians and contractors is the best way to go, I have carried a masters for 40 years and it has not hurt me.
Know A Little is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
Interesting how it varies from state to state... You have to have a Electricial contractors license to be in business in Connecticut.
And the states should have that right. Can't imagine how bad the feds would mess this up.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Know A Little View Post
Does this legislation ban DIY'ers from doing electric work on their own residences?
That's a whole other can of worms...
but I hope that no such ban ever exists anywhere.

Permits? Sure! Inspections? You bet!
Being forced to hire someone to do what an owner can? NO effin way!
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TarheelTerp For This Useful Post:
ddawg16 (10-23-2013), Know A Little (10-23-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
That's a whole other can of worms...
but I hope that no such ban ever exists anywhere.

Permits? Sure! Inspections? You bet!
Being forced to hire someone to do what an owner can? NO effin way!

I am with you 100% as long as we have decent inspectors. Will some do work without inspections, you bet but a law banning DIY would not change that.

And not trying to make light of what we do, but this ain't rocket science, I mean they gave me a license.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
Electrical Contractor

pa in their WISDOM .... was trying to get the fly by nights registered ..make sure they have ins. and came up with the state lics. .... the big city's were not effected .... by lost of smaller place i mean lots ...LOL

Philly was the first place to ever require testing/lics. in the US ...
Old 10-24-2013, 06:10 AM   #9
E2 Electrician

Quote:
And the states should have that right. Can't imagine how bad the feds would mess this up.
Seems like the State of PA is already trying to fix their OWN problem...
stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
Philly Master (10-24-2013)
Old 10-24-2013, 06:25 AM   #10
Licensed Electrician

In my area, homeowners haven't been allowed to pull electrical permits for a long time. However, as of this past March, anyone working on an electrical system had to be licensed by the State. They pushed that back for some reason to this upcoming year.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
hidden1 (10-25-2013), Philly Master (10-24-2013)
Old 10-24-2013, 06:27 AM   #11
Licensed Electrician

Oh, and yes, I do agree with homeowners NOT being able to work on electrical. I actually think it could encompass all building trades.

The Following User Says Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
Oh, and yes, I do agree with homeowners NOT being able to work on electrical. I actually think it could encompass all building trades.
I agree lets add work on your car, mow the lawn, fertilize the grass. While we are at it lets make all HO's hire a cleaning service, due to exposure to dangerous cleaners.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #13
Licensed Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Know A Little

I agree lets add work on your car, mow the lawn, fertilize the grass. While we are at it lets make all HO's hire a cleaning service, due to exposure to dangerous cleaners.
There can be a multitude of HIDDEN problems in a dwelling that can cause tens of thousands of dollars when the problems are discovered. They could cause financial ruin for the buyer. I will agree that it is similar to a vehicle, but the money spent on a vehicle is a small fraction of a home and the problems are usually more visible.

The Following User Says Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
There can be a multitude of HIDDEN problems in a dwelling that can cause tens of thousands of dollars when the problems are discovered. They could cause financial ruin for the buyer. I will agree that it is similar to a vehicle, but the money spent on a vehicle is a small fraction of a home and the problems are usually more visible.
\\On the internet and in real life we are all allowed to have opinions.

Residential electrical work is not rocket science. An intelligent person, some reading, a bit of mechanical ability, permits and inspections and ANYONE can do this work.

Look at some of the hack work being installed by license contractors and look at some of their residential employees, SACRY looking, and many do not have a clue.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #15
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
\\On the internet and in real life we are all allowed to have opinions.

Residential electrical work is not rocket science. An intelligent person, some reading, a bit of mechanical ability, permits and inspections and ANYONE can do this work.

Look at some of the hack work being installed by license contractors and look at some of their residential employees, SACRY looking, and many do not have a clue.

Most any True Electrical Lics. Requires 5 years of experience prooved and passing a written test....the test is not easy ...lol

A carpenter or mason does not ...

The whole thing is about protecting lives and property .... If the pipes leak you fix the dry walls.... If an electrician funks up then house burn down, electrocution s deaths....
etc tec......