Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2011, 08:02 PM   #1

Share |

standby generator installation cost

hi, i was planning to get a 7kw standby generator . so called Homedepot they send the third party company and they guy quoted me $8000 for eveything, including the permit. he suggested a 7kw for me because that would do the basics what i am looking for like the sumpump+ boiler+furnange (gas)+ a few lights...
it that a normal cost in Bergen county NJ?

Anyone who has installed a standby generator any suggestion would be helpful...

thanks

newhomenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #2

I re-read and at least you qualified it with a location.

I don't have an answer, but can't delete my post...my apologies (my original answer was.....well it's a long story)

jproffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:19 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

I would think for that price you should be able to get a much larger unit installed. But without seeing the job there is no accurate way to give pricing on a site like this. There are too many variables like permit costs, labor rates etc.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
I would think for that price you should be able to get a much larger unit installed. But without seeing the job there is no accurate way to give pricing on a site like this. There are too many variables like permit costs, labor rates etc.
I had exactly the same thoughts.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:24 PM   #5

My MAIN suggestion would be to NOT get it at HD, and especially NOT use one of their installers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
Auger01 (11-10-2012)
Old 12-20-2011, 08:53 PM   #6

http://www.apelectric.com/Generac-Ai...tors-s/366.htm
As you can see even an 8KVW would cost less then $2000.00 that would mean there charging you $6000.00 for labor for one days work. Hmm, seems a little high to me.
Most standalone generators come with everthing needed to install them, so Home Depot is not really "giving you" anything but the shaft on this one.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:53 PM   #7
Electrical Contractor

WE just finished up a job installing a 20 kW unit for 8 grand.

But the HO provided the platform to mount the unit on, as well as the gas hookup ....

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
[URL]
Most standalone generators come with everything needed to install them,
ONLY the units with the transfer panels do this, and even then you have to install them within certain distances or you need to extend the wiring.

Units with whole house transfer switches DO NOT come with ANY of the wiring between the genset and transfer switch.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhomenj View Post
hi, i was planning to get a 7kw standby generator . so called Homedepot they send the third party company and they guy quoted me $8000 for eveything, including the permit. he suggested a 7kw for me because that would do the basics what i am looking for like the sumpump+ boiler+furnange (gas)+ a few lights...
it that a normal cost in Bergen county NJ?

Anyone who has installed a standby generator any suggestion would be helpful...

thanks
I know things are more expensive, including labor up north, but that equates to about $2000 for the generator and the rest in labor. Could be some wiggle room for materials....$2-300....but unless it's a major project, which it shouldn't be it's way over priced. Make a few calls.

( I installed my own 3 years ago....about $2000 total...electrical, concrete pad. 8KW)
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:15 AM   #10

It should not that difficult of a job, I have a unfinished basement so they run the wires easiley ....
Old 01-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #11

The costs will depend on how your home is set up. My house has a main service panel plus two distant subpanels (one two floors above the main), so they would have had to send multiple wires to each of the subpanels if they wanted to install a 10-circuit, 30 amp transfer switch. Instead, I was quoted $1800 to install a 200 amp, whole house manual transfer switch at my main service panel. That price included the cost of an inlet box outside my house to plug in the generator and an external cord to the generator with two plugs.

I opted to get a new service panel put in, which enabled me to use an interlock kit that was designed for it. The interlock kit enables me to connect a generator and ensures that the no power can ever backfeed through the main to the main power grid, and zap a lineman. The cost for the new panel, interlock kit and inlet box also came out at $1800, and in that way, I upgraded from a 30-year-old+ panel to a new one and also got the generator interlock setup at the same time.

I'm in rural Northern New England, where an electrician charges $50 an hour, and no inspection or permit is required. Bergen County labor will be higher.

My parents (Albany, NY area) had an 8000-watt standby generator with an automatic transfer switch installed for about $3000 a few years ago. They have a propane tank (which I don't have), which enabled them to have a standby generator installed. I went with a gas-powered portable generator, because I didn't want to pay to install and then fill up a propane tank that could sit unused for years.

That $8,000 price sounds high, but if you provide more details, some of the experts may be able to give you more info.

Do you have easy access to propane or natural gas? Will it be complicated for them to tap into it?

How accessible is your wiring? Do you have to get generator power to a single main panel, or to multiple panels? Can they wire in the transfer switch in one place, or do they have reach out to subpanels all over creation to wire in to circuit breakers that serve the appliances you want to reach?

By the way, my interlock kit is manual, and theoretically enables me to turn on any device in the house. However, my generator only provides about 6700 watts (30 amp, 240 v surge), so I can't possibly power my whole house at once. I have to limit which circuit breakers I turn on under generator power, and have to monitor which appliances are operating, which means I have to put masking tape on the microwave and unplug the toaster and stuff like that. You can use a manual system with a whole house transfer switch or interlock kit if you can figure out how to count amps and watts when it is switched on. This kind of installation isn't going to cost you $6,000, and many electricians in your area can do it if they can find the parts, which are sold out at a lot of places because of the string of natural disasters that have hit in the past six months.

Regardless of which type of system you choose, there shoudl be many electricians or generator companies in Bergen County who can install a standby generator in your house.

Last edited by Arnold Ziffel; 01-01-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Arnold Ziffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #12

Hi Arnold, thanks for giving me the information, I got an extimate from few different companies for about $7500 - $8000 for a 7kw with 200amp switch installation on natural gas... i checked the interlock switch but the problem in my case is that i am not home sometime for 5-7 days... so portable generator will not work for me..
thanks for the info
Old 01-03-2012, 11:14 PM   #13

If I was going to have someone install my generator I would first call around and see who would be willing to do it if I purchased it myself.
the installer doesn't need to know your cost of the generator. Just keep it "apples and apples" and call a few electricians / contractors and find out what the going rate is. Tell them what you are providing and let them quote the rest. Be specific in what you want the final outcome to be. I think you should easily be able to save a couple if not a few thousand dollars.
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Hi Arnold, thanks for giving me the information, I got an extimate from few different companies for about $7500 - $8000 for a 7kw with 200amp switch installation on natural gas... i checked the interlock switch but the problem in my case is that i am not home sometime for 5-7 days... so portable generator will not work for me..
thanks for the info
A whole house switch is NOT for running the basics. Anything and everything that is running at the time of the power going out is going to come back on with the genny. Central air, heat pumps, etc. A 7-8kW is NOT big enough for this.

And $7-8 grand is STILL very high for an 8kW genny.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:10 AM   #15

Quote:
thanks for the info
A whole house, 200 amp transfer switch will not take care of your home if you're away, as Speedy Petey said. With a 200 amp transfer switch, you'll need to be there to decide which breakers to turn on and which ones to leave off. You'll have to turn the breakers in your main box on and off manually to use it.

If you need to have the generator come on when you're away from your home, the only way to go is with an automatic transfer switch. The automatic transfer switch will automatically switch the breakers that you need to generator power, and then the generator will come on automatically.

Some of the electricians here may correct me, but a whole house, 200 amp manual transfer switch doesn't do much more than an interlock kit does, unless you need the neutral shifted, which you probably won't with a standby generator. The only advantage of a 200 amp transfer switch over a 30 amp transfer switch is that you are allowed to choose which circuits you can turn on. Buit that means that you also have to choose which ones to turn on, and you can only run a few choice items with 7000 watts.

Do they have to wire in to multiple panels to install an automatic, 30 amp transfer switch?

Can a 30 amp, automatic transfer switch be installed?

It still seems like $7000 or $8000 is high for this.

Arnold Ziffel is offline   Reply With Quote