Standby Generator Connected Via Detached Garage? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2009, 08:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,000

Standby generator connected via detached garage?

Is there a way to do this?

Would like to have a connection in the detached garage for a standby generator to power the house.

I understand how a automatic or manual switch wires a panel panel and allows the generator to feed power to selected circuits. But can it be done from the detached garage with a subpanel connected to main panel in the house.

The wiring to the detached garage and the subpanel there are not yet installed.

Hope this makes some sense...

thx!
Vince

Advertisement

vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:22 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 504
Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

You want the generator to feed the subpanel in the garage and not the house?

After reading it several more times, you just want to put the generator out at the garage and feed a subpanel in the house?

Yes you can do this.

Advertisement

Last edited by wirenut1110; 03-25-2009 at 08:39 PM. Reason: read it over and over
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:13 PM   #3

So I would put the transfer switch in the house - connected to the circuits in the main panel that I want maintained - and run another set of wires from the switch to the generator (separate wires from those attaching the garage sub panel to the house main panel)?

Essentially making a long power extension cord to the generator?
Old 03-25-2009, 11:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

A couple of cautions. You should never run a generator in a closed garage and even if you open the door you have to be aware of the wind direction. Carbon monoxide is deadly and you can be quickly overcome by it's affects. Even with the drive door open wind can cause the CO to collect in the garage if the wind is blowing into the door.

I have my back up generator inlet mounted on the side of our summer kitchen with the wires running into the house to the manual switch. Your hook up would be the same. And you must have a switch so you can't feed power back to the service lines and you can't use the main breaker as a switch. In this state that would cause you a $15,000 fine.
hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayewe farm View Post
A couple of cautions. You should never run a generator in a closed garage and even if you open the door you have to be aware of the wind direction. Carbon monoxide is deadly and you can be quickly overcome by it's affects. Even with the drive door open wind can cause the CO to collect in the garage if the wind is blowing into the door.
Good warning. Actually my generator is the one in my motorhome. For emergency needs I'll connect it to the house. Hence the desire to connect at the detached garage - it's where there is ready access for the motorhome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayewe farm View Post
I have my back up generator inlet mounted on the side of our summer kitchen with the wires running into the house to the manual switch. Your hook up would be the same. And you must have a switch so you can't feed power back to the service lines and you can't use the main breaker as a switch. In this state that would cause you a $15,000 fine.
Thanks - the manual switches I am looking at incorporate and provide the isolation capability.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:39 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,048

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
So I would put the transfer switch in the house - connected to the circuits in the main panel that I want maintained - and run another set of wires from the switch to the generator (separate wires from those attaching the garage sub panel to the house main panel)?

Essentially making a long power extension cord to the generator?
Yes. Run feed from generator (wherever it is, say just outside your garage) as a home run to your transfer switch (wherever it is, say next to your house main panel). Any power used at the garage would come back via the existing feed from a house panel to the garage subpanel or by cord and plug connected directly to the generator.

To have just some house circuits served by the generator, you could put in a subpanel near your main panel for those circuits and fed by the common terminals of your transfer switch. The normal main panel to subpanel feed goes through one side of the transfer switch and the generator feed goes through the other side. In some cities this may allow pulling an ordinary electrical permit as opposed to a service permit or panel permit or meter permit; the wiring upstream of the main breaker is not touched. This arrangement does mean that the generator at the garage feeds a subpanel in the house.

If you connect the generator to the garage subpanel, you must put the transfer switch there and can only power loads that are downstream, i.e. in the garage.

OT: I would think that a fully drywalled closet in the garage with gasketed i.e. exterior door to the inside and with (two in all) low and high louver vents to the outside would be a suitable place to put a generator.

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-26-2009 at 10:12 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:10 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,008

http://www.interlockkit.com/

theatretch85's questions prompted me to look at my system. I do not have two interlocks. I have a main breaker lock out in the main panel and a interlock kit in the sub. Two interlock kits will not work on main/sub panel system with one sub panel feeder. Sorry for the incorrect statements....John

Last edited by J. V.; 04-02-2009 at 12:20 PM.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:20 PM   #8

This is the one I put in http://www.reliancecontrols.com/ You can order them here http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...atchallpartial

It came with every thing needed except the cable.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
Do you need a automatic transfer switch? They make a mechanical interlock for all types of panels. I have my portable generator feeding the sub panel. The interlock kit is located in each panel. The main and the sub. When my generator is running I can pick and choose which circuits I want to use. I am not restrained to certain circuits, I can use any that I want, provided the generator can handle the load.
http://www.interlockkit.com/
Very interesting alternative to a switch - may well be a consideration - thx!
Old 03-27-2009, 09:01 PM   #10

Quote:
The interlock kit is located in each panel. The main and the sub. When my generator is running I can pick and choose which circuits I want to use. I am not restrained to certain circuits, I can use any that I want, provided the generator can handle the load.
Does it really work having two interlock kits for main panel and subpanel? If the generator is connected to the main panel only one kit is needed. If the generator is connected to the subpanel, the interlock must break the connection between the panels restricting choice of circuits.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:08 AM   #11
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

You can locate the generator inlet in the garage, BUT you will have to run 2 sets of conductors between the house and the garage.

One set for "normal" operation, and the other set for "emergency" operation.

The transfer switch or interlock would have to be located at the main house panel.

The sub-panel in the garage would always be fed from the main house panel, whether it is on utility power, or standby power.
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:33 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,008

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
You can locate the generator inlet in the garage, BUT you will have to run 2 sets of conductors between the house and the garage.

One set for "normal" operation, and the other set for "emergency" operation.

The transfer switch or interlock would have to be located at the main house panel.

The sub-panel in the garage would always be fed from the main house panel, whether it is on utility power, or standby power.

theatretch85's questions prompted me to look at my system. I do not have two interlocks. I have a main breaker lock out in the main panel and a interlock kit in the sub. Two interlock kits will not work on main/sub panel system with one sub panel feeder. Sorry for the incorrect statements....John

Last edited by J. V.; 04-02-2009 at 12:21 PM.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Not true. You can feed the sub from the generator, then the sub feeds the main.
Thats why I use two interlocks. One at the main and one at the sub. The interlock at the main prevents closing the main when power is restored and the one in the sub is used when I run/exercise the generator and want to load it without cutting power to the whole house. I should have been more clear on that.

This is the purpose of the interlock kit. No need to change anything except to install the interlock.
I would suggest you check locale restriction. The interlock would not be legal in my state because you can't use the main as the disconnect from the service drop while using a generator.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Not true. You can feed the sub from the generator, then the sub feeds the main.
Thats why I use two interlocks. One at the main and one at the sub. The interlock at the main prevents closing the main when power is restored and the one in the sub is used when I run/exercise the generator and want to load it without cutting power to the whole house. I should have been more clear on that.

This is the purpose of the interlock kit. No need to change anything except to install the interlock.
Sounds like the solution I am looking for. But, hmmm... sorry still not getting it. The interlock in the main panel enables/disables the breaker to the power company, and disables/enables the breaker feeding the sub. So how when the interlock is set to normal operation does the sub get power from the main?
Old 03-29-2009, 08:58 AM   #15

In other words what gets prohibited at the main panel when you move the interlock plate to turn the main breaker on?

And in other words what gets prohibited at the subpanel when you move its interlock plate to turn the generator backfeed breakers (there) on?

The interlock must require that something be turned off before something else can be turned on. Not just get in your way to make you think twice about turning something on.

Advertisement

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-29-2009 at 01:46 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote