Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2009, 10:14 PM   #1
DIY'er

Share |

Standard dept to set back boxes for plaster walls?

I find it necessary, in order to properly plaster around my boxes to recess them slightly. 1/8" to 1/4" seems about right. Is this your experience as well that you need to make them slightly recessed to be able to plaster properly around them?

Jamie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need Help Uploading Photos?
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:59 PM   #2

You are at the max allowed, flush is best.
unclduey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:07 PM   #3
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Yes, seems like the surface tension of the plaster would tend to cause a lip if the box is flush. But a little sanding would probably take care of it. But I have found a little bit of recess to be better than completely flush too. 1/8" would be good, but no more than 1/4".
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:17 PM   #4
liscenced electrician

i prefer them to be back just a hair on my own projects so that i can mud over the box a little. On jobs at work i try for flush, since the sheetrockers don't ever mud over them, they just cut around them
jimmy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:53 PM   #5
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase277 View Post
Yes, seems like the surface tension of the plaster would tend to cause a lip if the box is flush. But a little sanding would probably take care of it. But I have found a little bit of recess to be better than completely flush too. 1/8" would be good, but no more than 1/4".
Yep, I just plastered in that box in the foyer, and it stuck out too far, and I could not get the plaster floated in correctly. Most people would not really notice it, (i like to make things pretty) but I want to make sure to avoid that on my other boxes in the kitchen. I'll make sure to stick around that 1/8" to 1/4" range.

I am using a traditional plaster system, so it is not like sanding drywall mud or light weight joint compound, it's more like trying to sand your sidewalk . If I have too much plaster on, I'll seriously have to get out a disk grinder, once it is setup, cut it back and re-top coat if I overfill / bulge out around the boxes.

Plastering is kind of a lost art, but I think it is pretty cool. Looks so much nicer than rock, way tougher, water resistant, sound deadening, etc.

Thanks

Jamie

Need Help Uploading Photos?
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote