Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #1

Share |

stair step lighting

I want to put sensor lighting for night time into either each step or just the landing. Is there engineer issues to do this when I start cutting holes? it's closed in steps so I figured it would not be an issue. Anyone else have any knowledge on this?

Name:  ForumRunner_20120806_225904.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  21.3 KB

Last edited by kgagnon7; 08-07-2012 at 12:02 AM.
kgagnon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:57 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

stair step lighting

I would look in a marine catalog for deck/dock or step lights that will look nice and recess into the risers (if you put them in the treads or landing they will glare up at you). Regular lighting suppliers will have them too but they will be more expensive. You will be able to run them on a low voltage transformer. There are similar line voltage lights. You might as well see if LEDs are within your budget. You can put whatever lights on whatever sensor, timer or switch you want.

Did a quick search for fun. These are not that glamorous looking but are only $11 for a 3 LED white fixture for low voltage. Rated for 100,000 hours!

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/I-L-003-5200-7/

You can cut the holes for them with a jigsaw or a router or rototool. A multi-tool will also work. Looks like the one at the URL is low profile surface mount. Not sure what code is going to be for boxing the connections. Line voltage will need boxes I suspect.

I assume you can still get under the staircase for wiring? Make sure you get fixtures that give you access to the bulbs from the front if you plan to seal up the back of the staircase? Or build an access panel.

Last edited by user1007; 08-07-2012 at 05:18 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:23 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

stair step lighting

Moved to electrical forum.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:39 AM   #4

stair step lighting

There are a number of options from automatic lights (comes on automatically as you enter the stairs) to just normal stair lights. If you Google Stair Lights you will find lots of good options. You sure have a nice blank canvas there, as long as you have access to the back for wiring as sdsester noted you will be good to go. If you are using 12 volt class 2 lighting you will have no issue making joints that are not in metal junction boxes. Your joints will be made using wire connectors and simply left in the open area of your stairs in a similar method that you would wire up in ground 12 volt patio lights without the need for metal boxes.
abbtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:53 AM   #5

stair step lighting

Thank you for your time and help. Yes have full access behind the entire stairs. So this plastic stair light from home depot I found will just use the regular wire drawing power from 14-2 wire in a outlet? Or is there another way to power them i'm missing? I remember when my basement was gutted they found a light set up like that and they said it was wrong. It was regular wire not the 14-2 from light to power source an outlet. I must sound so amateurish lol.
kgagnon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

stair step lighting

Interior residential connections have to be boxed. So you will need a box on the back of each riser (or bottom of each tread) where you are making a wire connection for a fixture. Your power supply will go into the box as will the wires from the light fixture. You will wire nut the connection and pigtail a ground wire in each.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #7
JOATMON

stair step lighting

Here is an example of the marine stair lighting that sd was talking about. This is from a boat that a friend of mine has....the lighting is all low voltage LED.

You could easily control it with an occupancy sensor....I just installed one in a closet and it works much better than I expected....the one I have has a daylight sensor so that it does not turn on if there is enough natural light.

Another variation of the ligting is to put it in the side wall...that way you avoid issues of drilling into the stair treads.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
Master Electrician

stair step lighting

I just did a set of stairs with flat strip LEDs located under the nose of each step shining downwards. Looks great. Add a motion sensor on the wall top and bottom and they'll come on automatically.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #9
JOATMON

stair step lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
I just did a set of stairs with flat strip LEDs located under the nose of each step shining downwards. Looks great. Add a motion sensor on the wall top and bottom and they'll come on automatically.
Andrew....any chance of pics?

Did you use low voltage? Where did you get them?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #10
Master Electrician

stair step lighting

It's done at a hotel we're building. I can snap a pic but the stairs are still steel. Marble isn't installed yet. They're low voltage with a dimmable driver.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
Master Electrician

stair step lighting

Name:  ForumRunner_20120807_113804.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  21.0 KB

stair step lighting-forumrunner_20120807_114032.jpg

Not Much to look at yet. But the effect is there. Sorry for the photo quality. I snapped them fast on my way past.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:40 AM   #12

stair step lighting

I personally doing lighting installations stairs on his own project, the effects can be seen in the following films

http://youtu.be/mZ1uJWRdWzo

http://youtu.be/J9aENcgCBys

If someone is interested by this solution, please write, I will help

kimi1973 is offline   Reply With Quote